Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Overlapping in collecting

Khaki

The other day I bought an M1 Garand (1943) Springfield manufacture complete with sling, nice gun, I have seen many of them before for sale locally, there was a second of hesitation, saying to myself, what are you doing, you collect Great War material?, and so I do, but when I thought about it logically I had already a WW2 collection that sort of sneaked up on me over the years.

I am sure that I am not the only one, many weapons/equipment members photos that I have seen posted are of wars prior to WW1 and collections surely must contain items that post date 1919, The good old Vickers MG chugged away for decades after WW1/WW2.

khaki

Fantastic! A classic and I'm sure you're glad you pulled the trigger! Pics???

- J

Hello Canadian J,

Thanks for your response, as far as pictures go, I think a 1943 Garand is not relevant to this forum, and that would be quickly brought to my attention. I will however try to PM them to you when they are available.

regards

khaki

I dabbled briefly in some WW2 items but quickly saw the error of my ways. I was in serious danger of going of on at a tangent. I feel though you do need a focus. Upside was I sold three WW2 German helmets and bought a stunning German cammo helmet and a P14 belt with the proceeds?

TT

Its hard to avoid TT, but when I walk into a gun store and there's an all matching WW2 No1 Mk3.* with great arsenal stock marks, or a No.4 trials rifle I am easily corrupted.

regards

khaki :blush:

I am an opportunist.

An interesting gun at an attractive price is worthwhile, moreso than an overpriced gun on the want list. This is why I still do not have a Lebel. This is also why I do have Werndl. And a 1867/89 Rolling Block. And a VERY desirable Russian recapture Tikka 91/30. The last one is WAY out of my normal interests, but such an interesting piece, much like khaki said, you just can't say no.

As far as collecting goes, my focus is strictly on the WW1 era bayonets ... but when looking for bayonets you also come across rifles, and these are nice also.

Bayonets also look better displayed on them.! And then rifles need ammunition, and ammunition needs to be put in something (soldiers carried these around)

And so on it goes ... my 'extended' WW1 collection now includes rifles, cartridges, bandoliers, patronentaschen, belts/buckles and books (as well as Bayonets) :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

S>S them soldiers who used bayonets used rifles used clothes used boots wore hats wore helmets gained medals used maps..........oh dear where does it stop? I think you get my point. I am truly a victim of collectinitis. ?

So glad though I escaped my dabble in WW2.

TT

Well, I do have three 3R era 84/98's and one Israeli 49, but that's because they continue the WW1 series of the same model... Oh, yes, well, also a WW2 German helmet and gas-mask container, and a WW2 American helmet, all picked up in the Tunisia desert - but that's it, apart from the Turkish bayonet series and the Greek ones used in the Turkish War of Independence! So, aside from a few WW1 period photographs, it is 90% bayonets of types known to have been used or current in WW1. In any case, if branched out I think SWMBO would have a sharp word with me...

Trajan

I 'mostly do' 20th Century British guns, bayonets, ordnance and webbing. (Oh, and a sideline in postwar British combat clothing) Some of this collection is WWI - the majority isn't. It would no doubt be more sensible to be more focused (certainly in terms of how full the loft is...) but I simply find it all interesting. ;)

Nice thread topic khaki! I'm a victim of this as well - started with WW1 bayonets, but now have a sizeable collection of M16 / Brodie / Adrian helmets, badges, buckles, bugles, button sticks etc etc. I also considered acquiring a few WW2 items but decided that would be one step too far...

Someone once said (I forget who) that WW2 was just a continuation of the Great War, its hard to not escape a similar conclusion when you see the same rifles, equipment and in some cases the same men and women involved.

khaki

I have limited my WW2 rifle collection to the appropriate bayonet, sling and helmet, those are all nice display items by themselves.

khaki

Surely this is how all great collections start. I started researching my Grandfather's service in the East Riding Yeomanry in WW2. But that led me into the East Riding Yeomanry's service in WW1 and then into uniforms, medals, insignia, database of names.... I ended up covering the whole period of the Regiment's existence: 1902 - 1956.... luckily still fairly focused compare to some!

Neil.

Your right Neil, it's a bit like sitting down at my computer to quickly look something up, and two hours later I am still there, having almost forgotten what my original question was.

khaki

Sorry,I was a bit slow at understanding what your meaning was, as that is something I have never done, anyway, apart from your sharp wit, (shades of Basil fawlty) I tend to follow interesting developments (links) as I spot them, something like initially Bapaume and end up reading deeply about the battle of Actium. A bit like regular freeway/motorway travel, remembering the journey seems difficult at times.

regards

khaki

Sorry Khaki it was my warped sense of humour. Removed now. Hope I wasn't upsetting you.

Kind regards

TT

PS basil Fawlty. My hero.

I do draw the line at GW German medal groups that contain WW2 medals, I have always liked the mounted bar groups that contain seven or eight medals, but I will not purchase a group that contains 3rd Reich awards, mainly as I don't want to start another facet of collecting. Consequently most of what I have seen available is limited to about three medals, usually EK2, H'burg, Bavarian War Merit cross or maybe an Austrian medal.

khaki