Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History of the Army Ordnance Services by Forbes 1929

MaureenE

A History of the Army Ordnance Services by Major General Arthur Forbes 1929 is available as a pdf download from the Digital Library of India

http://dli.serc.iisc.ernet.in/handle/2015/274726 (link to the catalogue details and download)

I have not downloaded this digital file, which has 459 pages. However I suspect it relates to the Great War period.

I have found references elsewhere which indicate this title was published in three volumes, Volume 3 the largest of the three volumes being in respect of the Great War period, and closest in pages to the number in the digital file.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks for that Maureen, it contains details of Kantara, Mex and Gabbari in Egypt that I have been looking for.

I have used OCR to convert it to readable text, the result is available here. Another thread asked about OCR software, the file linked here is shown as converted by Nuance Omnipage ver. 18.

Howard

Edit- See posts 9 and 10

Thank you Maureen for posting this link which contains information on the campaign in German East Africa which is of interest.

Jean-Paul

I had a look at Howard's OCR link, (which on my computer was rather small and I did not seem to be able to increase it in size) and can confirm this book is Volume 3 about he Great War. It is the 2nd edition, published 1932.

It includes chapters on the Western Front (Part I)

and chapters on Other Arenas (Part II): The Home Base; the Base in the Levant and Mediterranean [Egypt]; Gallipoli; Salonika; Palestine; Mesopotamia; East Africa; Italy; Russia and Siberia.

Cheers

Maureen

I had a look at Howard's OCR link, (which on my computer was rather small and I did not seem to be able to increase it in size) and can confirm this book is Volume 3 about he Great War. It is the 2nd edition, published 1932.

It includes chapters on the Western Front (Part I)

and chapters on Other Arenas (Part II): The Home Base; the Base in the Levant and Mediterranean [Egypt]; Gallipoli; Salonika; Palestine; Mesopotamia; East Africa; Italy; Russia and Siberia.

Cheers

Maureen

It is an RTF file, i.e. text not graphics, so if you have it in Word, hold down CTRL and wind the mouse wheel.

Howard

I have the printed book should it be of any help to anyone for look ups that sort of thing. Forward by Lt Gen Travis Clarke August 1929.

Regards

Peter

It is an RTF file, i.e. text not graphics, so if you have it in Word, hold down CTRL and wind the mouse wheel.

Howard

Thanks for the advice Howard, but my computer does not seem to like this format, or perhaps I don't know enough. The text appears in a "box" about 6cm by 1.5 cm, and although I can increase the size of the font, I can't increase the size of the "box", so can only view a few sentences at a time, and have to keep scrolling to get more text.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks for the advice Howard, but my computer does not seem to like this format, or perhaps I don't know enough. The text appears in a "box" about 6cm by 1.5 cm, and although I can increase the size of the font, I can't increase the size of the "box", so can only view a few sentences at a time, and have to keep scrolling to get more text.

Cheers

Maureen

Sorry to hear that.

I have put two more files into my Dropbox, a Word .doc format (Office 97), available here and a plain text version without the pictures available here.

The .doc file has no corrections from the converted file and the text file has lost not only the pictures but all formatting.

If that fails, I shall try something else, there are other tricks available.

Howard

I thought I would try a PDF version, available here.

The original was a PDF but graphics only, no text, this one was made after the OCR process so is searchable text.

Howard