Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC war grave for a mascot!

southafricawargraves

Hi all,

I've always been interested in military animals/mascots and since I've been travelling around the world taking photographs of war graves always wondered what happened to "Our Furred and Feathered Friends" graves.

Below is a mascot's grave that is located behind the CWGC workshop in Gallipoli, Turkey. Made years ago by the orginal Local Area Supervisor.

Do anyone know of any other war graves for mascots any war? I've heard of one for a WW1 New Zealand mascot somewhere in the UK.

Sorry here's the pic.

post-19-1100736873.jpg

Hi all,

I've always been interested in military animals/mascots and since I've been travelling around the world taking photographs of war graves always wondered what happened to "Our Furred and Feathered Friends" graves.

Below is a mascot's grave that is located behind the CWGC workshop in Gallipoli, Turkey. Made years ago by the orginal Local Area Supervisor.

Do anyone know of any other war graves for mascots any war? I've heard of one for a WW1 New Zealand mascot somewhere in the UK.

Not WW1, but Simon, the Dickin Medal-winning HMS Amethyst ship's cat is buried at the People's Dispersary for Sick Animals' pet cemetery in Ilford. I keep meaning to get out there for a photo of the grave to add to my web-site on Simon.

The pet cemetery at Edinburgh Castle is just below the Half-moon Battery. I don't recall seeing any CWGC stoes there when there a month ago.

I think the graves are from last century mostly.

Aye

Malcolm

Found a bad pic of Freda's grave here, knew I saw it before. Anyone close by that can get a better one?

post-19-1100840010.jpg

Found a WW2 NZ mascot grave in Italy as well but who knows where it is.

post-19-1100840112.jpg

Have an old postcard of the Soldier's Dogs Cemetery at Edinburgh castle that I'll have to dig out and post as well as it is taken at eye level.

Geez,

been collecting this stuff for years but I guess a guy has to search the inetrnet hard once in awhile or not hard at all because I just came up with this. Again WW2, but I'd sure like a pic if anyone has it.

Note the additional information.

Name: CORTEIL, EMILE SERVAIS

Initials: E S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Parachute Regiment, A.A.C.

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/06/1944

Service No: 14410713

Additional information: Son of Servais Corteil, and of Jessie Amelia Corteil, of Watford, Hertfordshire. His Paratroop dog 'Glen' died at his side and is buried with him.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IA. G. 13.

Cemetery: RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

have you heard about the New Zealand Rifle Brigade's bulldog called Caesar, killed in action with his master retrieving wounded in France? A book was written about them a few years ago, for younger readers, but a good read and well illustrated.

At the risk of posting something totally useless & irrelevant, may I also mention the pigeon memorial in Fort Douamont (actually it may be in Fort Vaux). Anyway, it's sort of a plaque with a stuffed pigeon in a cage above it , sounds a bit tacky but is actually quite nice.

What happend with the grave of the famous Dam buster dog; ****** ?

A memorial is being unveiled in London today (I believe) which commemorates all the animals who have died in the service of the United Kingdom and Empire/Commonwealth since the start of the 20th century.

From the clip on TV this morning it has at least three sculptures (Horse, pack mule and gun mule) as well as bas relief sculptures of all sorts of animals ranging from elephants to, if the report is to believed, glow worms.

It is located in Park Lane, on one of the large islands in the centre of the road, a prestigous spot to be.

These animals did what was asked of them without question. Rememberance and gratitude is owed to them as well.

Nigel

Is it true that the new digital remastered film of The Dam Busters is dubbed over.

That the dogs name has been changed for PC ???? :blink:

I was quite suprised to hear that!

The last time I saw 'The Dambusters' on TV all mention of the dog's name had been removed. Not sure about video/DVD versions.

Not quite a war mascot, but the grave of the German embassy dog from the 1930's 'Giro' can still be seen at the end of Carlton House Terrace in London, near the steps up from the Mall. I think that he was electrocuted poking around the building which is now the ICA. He is supposedly the only representative of the Nazi regime buried in London!

The last time I saw 'The Dambusters' on TV all mention of the dog's name had been removed. Not sure about video/DVD versions.

WAW!