Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th London Battalion badge

tamos123

According to my information the last London Regiment was the 28th County of London Battalion London (Artists Rifles)

Regards

John

johnreed is absolutely correct...twern't no 29th Bn.

DrB

:P

Hello All!!!

My book copy of SDITGW for the London Regiment lists a 29th (City of London) Battalion (RF). "Only" 32 casualties for the whole war, almost all to men originally in other battalions of the London Regt., and also subsequently posted to other battalions. Seems to suggest it was a depot/reserve battalion? No info on any cap badge, I'm afraid.

All the best,

Tony

Hello again!

Just found this on the long long trail website:

29th and 30th (City of London) Battalions

On 1 January 1917, the 100th and 101st Provisional Bns became the 29th and 30th Londons. They had been formed in June 1915 from home service personnel. Both remained in England throughout the war.

Still doesn't answer your question about their cap badge though, I'm afraid...

All the best,

Tony

thanks all

I have a medal pair to the 29th and like to collect a cap badge to go with them....can't seem to find anything in my badges books either :(

I have every faith that the forum will come through in the end :)

T

Hi Tamos,

the 100th Provisional Bn. was formed from personnel of the 3rd/1st London Brigade at the end of May 1915 and was at Aldeburgh, Suffolk. The men were all Royal Fusiliers of the 3rd/1st-3rd/4th Battalions of the London Regiment and the first C.O. was Col. P. Carlebach from the 2nd Londons. In August all personnel except "home service" men were sent to the four Royal Fusilier battalions of the 58th Div. The 100th Provisional Battalion having moved to Guildford in Jan 1917 formed the 29th (City of London) Bn. I hope this is of some help as it appears to be Territorial Royal Fusiliers and would have worn their badge.

John

Six additional battalions of the London Regiment were created in 1917-18, with numbers 29 to 34. You will find something about them on this thread: click here

Charles