Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 huts

victor.hill

not sure if this is the right topic.

admins can delete if not

have just been on a tour in hawstead , near bury st edmunds suffolk of this first ww1 hut or 2 huts joined together to make a stage for troops in ww1 , has been removed and rebuilt by a small team , of what i can only say , ,precise . hard working self taught .peaple .

lots of new ideas for what i can only say will be a very true record .of ww1 huts how they built also records of the companys who builts these hut supply tenders of goods that are needed to build these huts for army troops starting in 1914/1915/1916/1917/1918 .

the first hut is a fine example of the work skill today and way back 100 hundred years ago .

i.e. windows, doors,roof truss,and boards nailed in classic order this will be a brilliant step back in time .

they are now looking for any old ww1 guard rooms huts :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

any one reading this will know who they are, who have started this venture BRILLIANT

VIC HILL

Online at

http://www.greatwarhuts.org/

and on FB at

https://www.facebook.com/greatwarhuts?fref=photo

and tweeting as @GreatWarHuts.

A fascinating and ambitious project.

Gwyn

thanks gwyn

for adding those links i was being tackfull as i have been raped on the knuckls before and have to carefull

have been in the first hut it is of great skill that they have done well to get back up and looks good

i know have just knocked down an old shed at home and got an 8 x6 used shed and rebuilt it replaced wood in places and refelt plus the mrs has put 4 coats of preseve on it 2 cresote and 2 of ducks back

looks like new

rregaurds and thanks vic :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thanks moonraker.

have looked at that link.

it is really great what facts and bits of information you can find our when i was 12 i had 6 months in hospital at bury st edmunds 1957 was the year now i wonder you said about the hot fires as i was in in the huts think there was 4 huts all had coke fires in the middle think they we made of cast iron very hot at times

also i can remember that i was allowed to watch six five special, dixon of dock green ,and lone ranger .

but will now and try and find out what happened to the huts

interesting about the gaps in floorboards

thats vic :whistle::whistle::whistle:

On 21/09/2015 at 06:31, vic hill said:

the first hut is a fine example of the work skill today and way back 100 hundred years ago .

i.e. windows, doors,roof truss,and boards nailed in classic order this will be a brilliant step back in time .

Vic,

Here is a link to a previous GWF Thread on WW1 ' Huts ' with photos etc., which may be of use.

Regards,
LF

In what is now Upper Denham, Bucks was a WW1 hutted army camp. The camp was connected with 16th (Church Lads Brigade) Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps. During the period after WW1, the camp area was progressively redeveloped for housing. However, near the entrance gates to the Martin-Baker HQ at the western end of the estate, there are what I believe might be three heavily modified huts from the WW1 camp.

It is always possible that they were of a slightly later vintage (1920s) connected with the adjacent Martin's Aircraft works.

A 1933 aerial view on the Britain From Above site shows these huts in a more original state (as well as others nearby, now gone.)

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw043074?search=denham&ref=6

Images of two of the huts fronting Lower Road I was able to capture courtesy of Google Earth.

post-21625-0-76884400-1443286103_thumb.jpost-21625-0-92306700-1443286104_thumb.jpost-21625-0-74476200-1443286105_thumb.jpost-21625-0-52475700-1443286106_thumb.j

A recent drive-by of the site has revealed that the hut featured in the 3rd and 4th images appears to be undergoing further modifications with the removal of an entrance porch and the replacement of the windows as shown with very curious narrow glazed arrowslit/embrasure arrangements.

The third hut is situated behind the hut shown in images 1 & 2 and out of view, but it may be seen from the overhead view (Image 5). It appears that the original pitched roof structure has been incorporated into a building with a much larger footprint.

post-21625-0-02696600-1443286101_thumb.j

Allowing for the heavy modifications, is anyone able to positively identify them as hut types of WW1 vintage?

• 1 year later...

During the 80's & 90's a friend had a WW1 hut on his land that we used.  What I always remember, was the principle timbers and panels were all marked GvR under the crown, but there was no evidence of the W.D. and crows foot, so presumably this indicated which branch of service had originally had the hut.