Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Storage

Khaki

I generally do not keep bayonets in their scabbards long term, I separate them keeping the blades clean from heavy grease and free from dampness.

What's your opinion on storage?

khaki

I used to have racks screwed into the wall, where they hung from the muzzlering. Visually stunning, especially a whole rack of the same type.

Since moving to my new place, I have not had the time to re hang the racks. My bayonets live in a footlocker (the short/newer ones) and a dresser (GW era and earlier, long ones) purchased for that purpose.

It will probably make some cringe to hear they are neatly piled on top of each other, in scabbards. I am fortunate that there is relatively dry air where I live, so a light coat of gun oil keeps them in the condition I found them.

With somewhere in the neighborhood of 300ish, I do not touch some of them very often, but I have yet to find any worse for storage, even after months of being ignored. I will say, keeping the in drawers and a trunk greatly cuts down on the dust, compared to the old wall racks

As you know its considered a big no to store edged weapons in their scabbards for long periods of time. Fortunately at work I have a giant sword rack that allows swords and scabbards to be stored separately we have a 100+ swords/sabres (no bayonets though) that date from 1796 to the current and all in various conditions and storing them in this method has no doubt prevented any further deterioration.

At home and between my father and I we have a large collection of bayonets, but a lack of space (and my ever understanding other half, who really puts up with an awful lot as you can see) means they just cant be displayed or stored separately. The majority are on open display in their scabbards but checked regularly, especially those in leather scabbards as they can absorb moisture from the air and this create havoc; touchwood I have had very few problems. All the blades have been coated in Renaissance Wax and I really cant recommend this highly enough. Those that are not on display are in stacked neatly storage boxes with some Pelsorb (overpriced silca Gel).

Not the perfect solution I know, but with regular checks I really don't see an issue. The museum "professional" in me though doesn't like it though but it always great to invite the Jehovah Witnesses into the house!

Toby

A bit modern I know!

untitled_2.png

More appropriate

untitled1.png

As you know its considered a big no to store edged weapons in their scabbards for long periods of time. ... A bit modern I know!

We'll forgive you... Nice display - but how are those AK 47's, etc. actually fixed in place? (And do I see a practice AK 47 there also?)

I am having to 'downsize' my collection owing to limited storage space (2 x bedroomed flat), which means that after getting rid of all the rough and ready ones bought in the first flush of collecting plus all the spares, I can also concentrate on what I really like. Which also makes storage easier (well, at the moment!).

In the past I had a selection hanging in their scabbards from curtain rails at 1.5 and 2 m heights, using a mixture of original and replica frogs, and the rest were wherever I could put them. Then she who must be obeyed insisted on having the place re-decorated... Which is really why I had to downsize... Anyway, for now I have them all in a multiple set of IKEA drawers that takes all of them lengthwise except those extra-long Turkish M.1874's and M.1903's, and German S.98's, which have to be stored slantwise. In scabbards, yes, and a slow but steady pogramme of oiling the blades. At some point though, I'll hang a selection up again from curtain rails in the entrance hallway. We don't have Jehovah's witnesses, but we do have two young boys, and so once that is done it will be nice to see their parents reactions when they drop 'their sons off to play with ours...

Trajan

Thanks chaps.

We'll forgive you... Nice display - but how are those AK 47's, etc. actually fixed in place? (And do I see a practice AK 47 there also?)

They are just rested on nails in the wall, Its a horrible 1970s scheme anyway so instead of wallpaper bayonets will suffice.

It is indeed a spring loaded trainer, the price they go for now is just ridiculous!

I does make me chuckle that wherever we are from in the world we all have to answer to that "special someone" in our lives.

Toby

Thanks chaps.

They are just rested on nails in the wall, Its a horrible 1970s scheme anyway so instead of wallpaper bayonets will suffice.

Toby

Very Laura Ashley.

Very Laura Ashley.

Born in Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil. Very keeping with her upbringing.................

I have broached having some to hang on the wall,no dice. Yet a race bike in the spare room is tolerated.

Lovely collection chaps.

The reason is that if there is no air movement around the blade variations in humidity, temperature and general dampness tend to collect and remain longer and can become the starting point of rust. I consider leather scabbards the same way I think of leather holsters. ie., bad for metal long term, due to tanning chemicals and salts.

khaki

Glad to see this thread as, having agreed to being relegated to a "mancave" to curtail the ever-widening consumption of display and storage space around the house, I need to come up with a space-efficient way to display my bayonets (a small collection compared to others here, but still a fair box-full). Alberta is not a high-humidity region (55% at time of writing). It drops to darn near zero through the 9 months of winter here. The other three months are "poor sledding". I jest a bit, but also take the counsel here to keep the blades out in the air at least frequently to heart.

I'd love to hear from others about how they display their bayonets, and pictures welcomed. Toby...how are yours hung/affixed to the stucco (?) on the panelboard in your photo?

I've been thinking about installing one of the new slotwall panels, but am not sure how best then to affix the bayonets and scabbards to the slotwall.

Toby...how are yours hung/affixed to the stucco (?) on the panelboard in your photo?

They are mounted on nails or wire, the Rifles are held in place with heavy duty brass hooks that are screwed to directly to the wall. Thankfully the house was built in the 1930s, so its solid brick none of this modern plasterboard nonsense!

Going to be a ****** when/if the time comes to redecorate though!

I dug up some pictures I took of my racks when I was having a similar discussion a while back.

Obviously not attached to the wall, but you get the idea. I think if you have a lot of something (as I do, attempting a full set of Gras variants and makers) that the uniformity and symmetry are a striking and beautiful way to display. I have never hung guns on the wall, too heavy, and not wise with a very adventurous little daughter. Part of the reason these are no longer hung up

post-38182-0-38557700-1442845951_thumb.j

post-38182-0-24816700-1442845963_thumb.j

Thanks. Some good options there. I'll take a look at how those options might work for the random and varied bayonets I've accumulated.

Heres my storage approach. The bottom two trays are mainly German. The most important thing is that its lockable - essential with a toddler roaming the house!

post-55285-0-10208000-1443327419_thumb.j

A friend uses a large wooden storage chest for his extensive bayonet collection, originally used in an engineering drawing office for the storage of drawings and blueprints, anyone remember those! Extremely well constructed, the drawers pull out to fully display the contents.

Mike.

Heres my storage approach. The bottom two trays are mainly German. The most important thing is that its lockable - essential with a toddler roaming the house!

A friend uses a large wooden storage chest for his extensive bayonet collection, originally used in an engineering drawing office for the storage of drawings and blueprints, anyone remember those! Extremely well constructed, the drawers pull out to fully display the contents.

This kind of arrangement is best to my mind and what I would love to have, but neither the metal version or second-hand examples of the wooden one are available here.

Note, though, potential condensation problem with the metal version, so some sachets of silicon gel would be useful - and with that of course stringent safety measures when kids are around! Also note, not all woods are good for storing metal and leather items - well, that's museum standard for archaeological things that are usually and often not in the best of conditions and where climate and environmental control is strictly necessary!

My storage system is somewhat similar, an IKEA product of plastic laminated chipboard with narrow drawers, wide enough for P.1907's, and lesser items, but not quite wide enough to store S.98's and the like in a neat row...

Trajan

• 3 months later...

Coming back to this thread merely to post what I decided upon as a solution for display/storage of my small (but varied) collection of bayonets. I decided to keep it simple and use pegboard and short hooks. This allows me to adjust as required to try accommodate additions or improvements. The collection consists, by the way, of bayonets to go with the rifles in my collection (I still need one for my Springfield M1903). Thanks for all the info provided in this thread.

IMG_7369.jpg

A nice grouping! Is the S.98 marked?

Pegboard never made it to Turkey and so apart from a display collection in the form of a wall-hanging group (using original and replica frogs), most of mine are in storage drawers - I'll try and get and post a photograph of the storage unit tomorrow, handily sited next to my 'study desk'.

Trajan

I Never thought of Pegboard!

I fear I will also be relegated to a single "mancave" in the not so distant future, the above might come in handy.

Cheers

A nice grouping! Is the S.98 marked?

Looking forward to seeing the picture of your storage solution, Trajan.

The S.98, an '03-dated Coppel, is marked.

IMG_0715.jpg

Scabbard is also marked, but doesn't match. It's 10. R.12. 220.

Got it to go with My 1906 DWM Gew 98, regimentally-marked on the disc to 11. J. 4. 22.

Would love to display my bayonets etc but alas the vast majority are stored in a steel chest & wooden box due to theivin barstewards in my area, so a select few are displayed on perspex stands :(

For those who use pegboard, may I suggest covering it with a hessian/scrim material, this in its neutral color hides the unused holes, but in its loose weave allows for the use of hooks without damaging the fabric. If you intend to wall mount secure it to the wall by placing something behind each corner ( I used plastic milk bottle caps) easy to screw through and it give the whole display a further dimensional appearance.

good luck guys

khaki

(ps) don't over do the weight, or crowd the display, 4 to 6 blades & scabbards on a small board is more effective than say a workshop tool board.

Heres something i knocked up for my 1907 bayonets.post-107689-0-75710500-1451407222_thumb.