Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Mk3 (maybe *) ID

acerimmer

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while and I was hoping I might tap into the collective knowledge of the forum to tell me a bit more about my SMLE. It's marked as a No.3*, but the star has been scored out. It is also fitted with a magazine cutoff. Any info would be gratefully received.

21465251905_c66f02dc77_z.jpg20150915_175349 by Mark Wilson, on Flickr

21465246325_efa24972a2_z.jpg20150915_175448 by Mark Wilson, on Flickr

21277423758_6b671fc863_c.jpg20150915_175421 by Mark Wilson, on Flickr

21454280612_2645418ca0_c.jpg20150915_175319 by Mark Wilson, on Flickr

Hi - welcome!

Rifle was made as a MkIII* by RSAF Enfield in 1918 but returned/modified to MkIII status (probably inter war) by retro fitting the cutoff. This is pretty common to find.

The DP stamp indicates it was downgraded to "Drill Purpose" at some time in it's career (probably towards the end) If the rifle is still functional (not a deact) this would make me very wary of shooting it without having it professionally examined.

The brass reinforcement in the forend is a little unusual in that is it so large - and is reminiscent of the type used on earlier MLEs/CLLEs

The wood looks in very good shape and appears to have been refinished (varnished?).

Have you taken the rear hand-guard off (it is just spring clipped in place) there are probably some interesting marks underneath, probably including barrel date.

I wonder if this rifle might have seen Indian use (brass is suggestive)this might be revealed by looking under the handguard.

The numbers stamped on the left side by the safety are probably FTR/Refinish dates and it looks like 1934 (common) which would probably be when the * was cancelled and the cutoff fitted the other date 1950 would be unusual in my experience with British rifles (although there was a big batch done in 1952 but marked differently with FTR 1952 electro-pencilled on the side of the receiver) 30s and 50s dated FTRs are common on Indian used rifles but the form of marking is usually to stamp FR '34 (year) below the safety - this form of stamping looks much more like British markings - so mixed messages here.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Excellent, many thanks. The brass bolt through the rifle has been done to repair a split in the woodwork. I have taken the read hand guard off (I'll post photos later) and the barrel is a 1960's Ishapore barrel (also the foresight is RFI marked - not a windage sight). I'd assumed the barrel was replaced after its service life but I guess it may have been to India.

The rifle has indeed been varnished at some point and has a lovely feel to it. The foreend has a matching serial number stamped in (beneath the varnish) to the receiver so I think the wood is all original.

Any idea what the letters below the DP are?

Thanks

Mark

Edited to add it's a live firing rifle but I haven't fired it yet. I was sold it as fully working so having discovered the DP stamp I'm a little annoyed. Should also add the bolt is non-matching to the receiver.

DP is drill purpose - as indicated above in first post - I would not fire it without a very careful check by a qualified gunsmith who knows Enfields.

I am looking on a small monitor but it appears the barrel is also marked with UK civilian market proof marks.(the stamps on the right of the knox form) which are .303 cartridge dimensions and pressure per sq inch.

RFI / and GRI are Indian marks (Rifle Factory Ishapore and George King Emperor) as you say.

The stock colour suggests it is the original British stock rather than an Indian replacement which tend to be much redder in colour.

Chris

EDIT: looking now on my normal computer - it appears the barrel is not an official replacement as it bears a different serial number 66809 so if the barrel/receiver/bolt all have different serial numbers (what about the underside of the rear sight and nosepiece/bayonet boss?) and the refinished wood. This would suggest that the rifle has been assembled from various parts, including a DP marked receiver. Unless you know who did this and under what circumstances I would ensure that the rifle is examined carefully if you intend to shoot it. Enfields are a strong, and in general very safe design, but the components here are almost a century old and in this instance may have been assembled outside of an official process so I would always err on the side of caution.

Edited by 4thGordons

Hi Chris,

Only just noticed your update. The sight has the same serial as the barrel and the nosepiece matches the receiver (as does the wood). My optimistic guess is someone took a DP-marked rifle and replaced the bits that caused it to be DP, but as you rightly say, I have no intention of firing it until a gunsmith has given it the OK.