Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rededication of three now named Australians

Seadog

Pre-notification

Some excellent work has been done here.

BIRR CROSS ROADS CEMETERY

On Sunday, 20 September at 1100hrs a rededication ceremony will take place at Birr Cross Roads Cemetery http://www.cwgc.org/... ROADS CEMETERY for 3 Australian soldiers of the First World War: Pte Eacott, Pte Huntsman and Pte Neilson.Thorough research has made it possible to give a name to the unknown graves of these three soldiers. The ceremony will be organized by the Australian Government and will be attended by relatives of the casualties. The public is welcome to attend. An official press release will follow and will be published on our website.

Christine Connerty
Administration Supervisor, Western Europe Area

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Any member with info how this was done?

This source doesn't explain Neilson mind, but:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sleuths-identify-two-victorian-world-war-i-graves-20150311-1414eq.html

"While looking at another soldier's online Australian War Memorial records, Mr Pittaway found Red Cross witness statements that Huntsman, Grace and Eacott had initially been buried together, in the same plot, where they fell at Polygon Wood.

But only Huntsman and Eacott were listed on the Menin Gate memorial in Ypres, which names soldiers killed in the area without known graves.

Mr Pittaway found that only Private Grace was named in Commonwealth War Graves records as having been transferred, in 1922, to the official Birr Cross cemetery at Zillebeke, along with two 7th Battalion soldiers. But the record noted that the trio had been exhumed from the same battlefield map reference.

Only Private Grace had had identifying material on him and could be buried under his own name in plot I.D.18. The other two soldiers could not be identified and were laid to rest, unnamed, next to him in plots I.D.19 and I.D.20.

"Everything was tying up to say that if the three were buried together initially, and next to Grace there were two unknown graves of 7th Battalion soldiers who were killed on the same day, surely they'd be Eacott and Huntsman," Mr Pittaway said."

Tks Norman for putting this info on view.

When in France, I was frustrated by the Australian Gov. letting us know about these type of activities, always after the event.

So, I only ever got to one in the seven years I was there.

Well done.

Peter

No problem Peter. To me the discovery of the fallen and the excellent work undertaken to give them the dignity of a name such as in this particular case plus those at Fromelles and Beaucamps-Ligny is the most important aspect of the modern use of both of DNA profiling and access to burial returns etc. In my opinion this supersedes all other aspects of contemporary issues concerning the Great War. Your concerns regarding notification of such events appears to be borne out as the CWGC have not yet posted what I presume will be the full details of the event for which of course they are beholden on the Australian authorities to supply, this with just one week to go.

Norman

ADDED 17/9

Now on CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/news-events/news/2015/9/rededication-service-at-birr-cross-roads-cemetery.aspx

Given the interest generated by the centennial I can see no good reason why the CWGC could not affix a temporary notice to the war cemetery when such events arise.

Peter

Your correct the Australian Government could do more to draw our attention

to these events. However we also need to give them credit for fast tracking

this rededication service as the evidence was only submitted in August 2014.

Chris Appleton at the Office of Australian War Graves also needs to be singled

out for the work that he has done to honour these men.

Lastly we need to keep an eye on the CWGC news letters in 2016 as I believe

that there are others to follow including a second case from Mr Pittaway.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Agree that marvelous work is done and, I have dealt with Chris on many occassions and, he is a decent person who is dedicated to his work. I am not sure that it is his responsibility to get the word out to Aussies who are in northern France and Belgium as an advance notice.

Most of the time I found out about the re-Hallowing of Australian Graves was via a Media Release from the Minister of Veteran Affairs, Canberra. Always, after the event.

During my time in France, I always read the CWGC Newsletters, when sent.

Peter

Great work Andrew Pittaway. Your doggedness with research is terrific resulting in a fine outcome and fitting remembrance. The families concerned would be chuffed. Congrats to all others concerned with this work.

Ian

Have been following this journey, a credit to your meticulous research and passion, thank you Andrew, and to all involved to enable this to be completed.

Cheers

Shirley

Excellent Images Peter and a splendid achievement by all concerned. If its alright with you I will also post the images on my Flickr account.

Norman

Excellent Images Peter and a splendid achievement by all concerned. If its alright with you I will also post the images on my Flickr account.

Norman

No Problems Norman

So privileged to have attended the Rededication Service. Fantastic research work to give these men known graves & their families a sense of closure and the comfort of a known resting place for their loved ones.

Jane

So privileged to have attended the Rededication Service. Fantastic research work to give these men known graves & their families a sense of closure and the comfort of a known resting place for their loved ones.

Jane

Good to see you and your husband there Jane