Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Moorland

Northern Soul

Reasearching a local man, I have found a newspaper snippet that has him dying of natural causes in Durban in late 1917 (not commemorated by the CWGC) and that he was the Captain of H.M.S. Moorland. The only reference to a ship of this name that I have been able to find is a HMS Moorland launched in 1918 and used, appropriately enough, as a "mooring ship."

Has anyone else ever heard of it/can anyone shed some light on this?

Andy.

Launched 22/11/18 and based (for a time) at Harwich: I would assume she was helping to convert the harbour for increased naval usage during the War, given that it was a prominent WW1 submarine & light forces base.

That is the only one I can think of, and there would not be two HMS Moorland's operating at the same time.

Richard

What is the name of this man? I can see if he is covered in my dbase. I have a number of non commerated.

don

His name was Charles Richardson Hird.

Am I correct in thinking that he could still have been Captain of the Moorland even though the ship had not been launched i.e. he was appointed to it whilst it was still under constructtion? Mind, It doesn't really explain what he was doing in Durban.

Andy.

COs were - and are - appointed to command vessels that are still under construction or undergoing extensive refits. They often assist with getting things up together and ensuring that the dockyard does what is says it would and on time.

I assume he may have been a Merchant skipper serving with the Navy rather than a bona fide RN Captain, who would expect a more prestigous command! You might wish to check for his records at the NA, either as Mercantile Marine, MFA, RN, RNR or (less likely if he was a career mariner) RNVR.

As to his presence in SA, it is perfectly plausible (esp. Durban) since it contained commercial ports and the RN also had a considerable presence in that Commonwealth country.

Richard

Being Mercantile Marine would also explain the lack if CWGC commemoration.

Recognised Civilian Organisations such as the Mercantile Marine only qualified for war grave commemoration if they died on duty and through war causes.

Reference Hird, I would suspect Richard is correct. I have gone through the NAVY LISTs and found no C.R. Hird in RN, RNR, RNVR, actives and retirees. He could have very easily been Mercantile Navy appointed to the command, but dying before ever arriving back in the UK.

Sorry, no joy on this one.

don