Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small Brass Casing. 1918

GWF1967

Hi,

I have a Brass Casing marked. 1918. MAI. SP255. K1. its base is 44mm in diameter, 93mm tall and is 40mm across at the business end.

Could anyone shed any light for me please.

what I read as Sp 25, on enlargement turned out to be Sp255, the Spandau mark for inspection. K is I now believe Karlsruhe.

So German, May 1918, made in Karlsruhe, inspected Spandau. Still can,t find a casing this size or info on what fired it.

It is a German 37mm AKA the 1 Pdr by the British, and used by just about every nation in the Great war. I cannot see a firing pin strike on the Primer. Is it live? If so that's naughty and needs addressing.

what I read as Sp 25, on enlargement turned out to be Sp255, the Spandau mark for inspection. K is I now believe Karlsruhe.

So German, May 1918, made in Karlsruhe, inspected Spandau. Still can,t find a casing this size or info on what fired it.

Not Spandau. Sp255 is an inspection mark used by the Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe Cartridge Factory). However the 'K' may stand not for Karlsruhe but for 'Kern' (core), which was a designation for armour-piercing ammunition (K-Munition). So perhaps a round for a 37mm cannon/pom-pom used as a trench gun in the anti-tank role.

It is a German 37mm AKA the 1 Pdr by the British, and used by just about every nation in the Great war. I cannot see a firing pin strike on the Primer. Is it live? If so that's naughty and needs addressing.

No idea if live or not, bought as is and blissfully unaware of condition. I'd always assumed it was fired not disassembled but would welcome opinions.

post-119457-0-78731300-1441471424_thumb.

Not Spandau. Sp255 is an inspection mark used by the Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe Cartridge Factory). However the 'K' may stand not for Karlsruhe but for 'Kern' (core), which was a designation for armour-piercing ammunition (K-Munition). So perhaps a round for a 37mm cannon/pom-pom used as a trench gun in the anti-tank role.

Many thanks.