Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leigh-on-Sea War Memorial

Bardess

If anyone lives close to the above I would really appreciate a pic of it please [hopefully including the name Robert Vivyan Child]. TIA

There is no specific Leigh-on-Sea War Memorial that I can see. However, if you search

Leigh-on-Sea War Memorial, then select Southend-on-Sea County, then Southend and Prittlewell Rolls of Honour (left side of screen, and scroll down, you will find "CHILD Robert the entry for Robert. You will also find a photo the Southend-on-Sea and District War Memorial on your search engine. Good Luck.

Hi lancejack and thanks for taking the time to search and reply. From your directions I have found Robert's entry but can't seem to locate a decent pic of the memorial.

Hi Diane

The municipal War memorial for Southend on sea Borough is on the cliffs overlooking the Thames Estuary and has no names on it. The Rolls of Honour are inscribed on oak panels currently housed in the mansion in Priory Park which was gifted to the borough by R A Jones a Prominent member of the community in 1917. See this website.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/SouthendOnSeaCountyBorough.html

Robert may also be commemorated in his local church. It is common in this area for parishes to have a roll of honour in the parish church, do you have an address for Robert?

I live close to Southend airport.

Regards brian

To save others checking

CHILD, ROBERT VIVYAN. Rank: Private. Service No: 14851. Date of Death: 15/09/1916. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment "B" Coy. 12th Bn.
Grave Reference: Sp. Mem. 13. Cemetery: BULLS ROAD CEMETERY, FLERS.
Additional Information: Youngest son of the late George Charles Child and of Blanche M. Child (nee Puckle), of "Homeland," Fleet Rd., South Benfleet, Essex.
Native of Smethwick, Staffs.
He doesn't appear on any listing for Canvey, Benfleet or Thundersley that I could find.
The Priory in Priory Park mentioned by Brian may be your best bet.
Perhaps one of the local RBL Branches may be able to help?
As he was from Smethwick, it's possible there may be a commemoration there, but that'd need a bit of family history checking to find a specific location/address
Ah! I see from a Family Tree that it specifically refers to Leigh on Sea War Memorial... perhaps an enquiry at Leigh library or St Clements may clarify where this War Memorial actually is....
and Christopher Langdon may be able to assist.
The Rolls of Honour are available on this website and Robert is on it...

Hi Brian

'Homeland' Fleet Road, South Benfleet, Essex is the address on his CWGC entry and where they were living in 1911. Thanks for offering to have a gander for me

EDIT

Yes, KevinBattle, he was born and baptised in Smethwick but isn't, so far, on any memorials there. 'Leigh-on-Sea War Memorial was the exact wording on a Family Tree on Ancestry so I figured it was correct :blush:

The best photo of the Memorial is on "Southend-on-Sea County Borough War Memorial".

I should have remembered this.... I used to do a lot around Southend, Thundersley, Laindon, Hockley Rolls of Honour etc...

http://www.benfleethistory.org.uk/page_id__327.aspx

It's his placemarker, so perhaps Brian can get to Priory Park and get a close up of the Southend inscription...

It's also possible that Christopher Langdon as per my previous post may be able to assist.

Diane

Robert and his family moved around a lot, His Father George was born in Cork and was an Industrial Engineer. Blanche was born in Camberwell London and the first 6 of his siblings were born in East Dulwich London. his brother Neil was born in Birmingham and Robert was born at 24 south road Smethwick. where they were living in 1901. In the 1911 census they are living at Belleview, Fairfax drive, Westcliffe on sea and Robert aged 15 is at School. According to SDGW Robert was living in West Norwood Surrey when he Enlisted at Kingston on Thames where the East Surrey's had their Depot. Roberts father probably retired to Benfleet during the war.

I have only just moved to Rochford and am still pretty busy with things the directing staff regard as vital but I will try to get into the house in priory park for a look at the roll of honour and my son lives in s Benfleet so will have a scout round there and in Leigh as soon as I can.

Belleview sounds as if it might be the end of Fairfax nearest to Albany (Laundry) corner and Eastwood Road. If he was at school Robert might be an old boy at either Westcliff High or Southend Grammar schools, both are nearby and may have records of their WW1 casualties....

Robert has a detailed entry in "They Rest From Their Labours". The stories behind the names on the Southend High School for Boys Roll of Honour 1914-1918 by Lesley Isles and John Baker.

Great find John, I should have thought that through when I saw the 1911 Census as a schoolboy that perhaps they would have a Roll of Homour too...

Ouch! £33 on Amazon but £15 direct from my old school http://www.oldsouthendianassociation.org/library/files/TRFTLflyer.pdf

We also lived in Fairfax Drive, granpa was blown UP the stairs when the school was hit by a bomb in WW2....

I'm post war vintage though!

The book was produced for the 90th anniversary so probably worth checking with the school to see if it is still available, especially if you have a family connection

Southend High School for Boys Prittlewell Chase, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS0 0RG
tel: 01702606200 - fax: 01702 606257 | email: enquiriesATshsb.org.uk

Diane,

Live only a few minutes walk from the Priory so can pop in for you Monday when I get home, however I have all the scrolls photographed on a secondary hard drive at home.

Benfleet does have a small war memorial in the centre of the road on a roundabout at the bottom of Essex Way just before the Hoy and Helmet pub. The church in Leigh-on-Sea does not have a memorial but names carved out in wooden panelling in the parish church if memory serves me correctly.

Lesley used to post on the forum, might be worth seeing if she still has a membership, failing that I can contact her for you.

Also have 95% of the local newspaper entries regarding men from the borough, so will check that for you also on my return home.

Andy

Thanks so much for the links and info Kevin, Brian, CGM and Andy and I would really appreciate whatever pix you have. Andy, would you please contact Lesley for me and, whenever you have time, rifle through your hard-drive :D

CGM, do you have a copy of the book?

Love being part of this Forum :poppy:

CHILD, 14851, Pte. Robert Vivyan, 12th East Surrey Regiment

Private Child was born at Smethwick, Staffordshire and left Southend High School in 1909. His parents formerly lived at Southend, latterly at West Norwood. He enlisted at Kingston-upon-Thames in November 1915, and was killed in action at Flers on 15th September 1916, being buried in Delville Wood.

Southend Standard2/11/16 obit.

Andy

• 9 months later...

Not quite what you asked for 

but a photo nevertheless

R V Child.JPG

Headstone photo  Here

regards Ray

Roberts name was previously inscribed on a memorial in Christ Church  (the memorial now lost)

Following is an Extract from this website

CHRIST CHURCH, GIPSY HILL
The original memorial in Christ Church was destroyed in a huge fire in October 1982. A service on Friday August 4th 1916 listed 26 "gallant men from the parish and congregation who have given their lives in the war" and whose names were recorded in the Christ Church parish magazine dated July 1916. (See below). Five others were named in the magazine up to and including December 1916. The church currently has no further copies of the parish magazine until 1925.

Regards Ray

Oh, wow, Ray! Once again finding a splendid pic and more to add to his story. Thanks so much

Not much more to add but a small mention in 

THE NEWSMAN Sat Nov 4 1916

R V C.JPG

regards Ray