Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conversion of captured British machine-guns

Beselare

In Peter Barton's book The Lost Legions of Fromelles he mentions that the Germans converted captured British Maxim, Vickers and Lewis machine-guns to their own use within a day. It must have been a relative simple job. Does anyone know what the German armourers had to do for conversion?

Bob

I don't know the answer but why would they need converting?

There must have been stocks of captured ammunition that would enable either side to use the others weapons

The Germans used the captured weapons with captured munition (some of the German soldiers were specifically trained in the use of these captured weapons), but some were altered as well. I have read about it, but I don't know what exactly they had to alter exactly.

A year or more ago there was a very informative thread here on the german use of and repurpose of captured Lewis guns reworked to handle the german 7,92 S patrone . I recall a pic of a lewis pan magazine recovered form a dig that had been modified and was still loaded with german S patronen. The conversion of pretty much Any Maxim type machinegun was not terribly hard and was done by the germans and proposed by the brits and americans. The Book "The Devils Paintbrush" delves into this a bit.

A year or more ago there was a very informative thread here on the german use of and repurpose of captured Lewis guns reworked to handle the german 7,92 S patrone . I recall a pic of a lewis pan magazine recovered form a dig that had been modified and was still loaded with german S patronen. The conversion of pretty much Any Maxim type machinegun was not terribly hard and was done by the germans and proposed by the brits and americans. The Book "The Devils Paintbrush" delves into this a bit.

That would be:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170928

Andrew - what a link! My question is solved but my mind is not that technically orientated to take it all in. Suffice it to say that conversion occurred on a regular basis. Thanks to all the other responders.

Bob