Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th H.B. Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest MoKirby

My grandfather, James Kelly, 24th H.B. R.G.A. was in France from 9.9.14 to 24.1.15 and 3.8.15 to 18.1.16. I have this information from his discharge papers. Family comments suggest he was also in Flanders. How can I find out exactly where he was, when?

Hi if you contact the RA Historical Trust at Woolwich Research@firepower.org they will probably be able to give you a summary of the formations 24 Hy bty were in throughout the war.

The war diaries will probably be available by visiting RAHT or at the PRO [there is an on line search and order capability, but it is usually best to go and look yourself]

Also look at the medal index cards - also available online - search in the forum and you will see examples and links

good luck

Alan

Hi There,

War Diarys for this Battery are at the NA and available to order online at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/

WO 95/396 24 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery -1914 Aug. - 1915 Aug.

WO 95/396 24 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery - 1917 Nov. - Dec.

24 Heavy Battery, RFA 6th Division (joined August 1914, left April 1915)

(Courtesy LLT)

Roop

• 3 weeks later...

Extract from War Diary and Roll of Honour 14th Heavy Battery RGA reads for 7 March 1915:

' 2nd Lieut. Young leaves for fourteen days inFrance with 24 Heavy Battery, in action then, one section at Le Bizet (north of Amentieres), and the other behind Bois Crenier (south of Armentieres)'

Alan

Searching for something else in the PRO Catalogue I have just seen this which might be of interest?

WO 32/6751 REGIMENTAL HONOURS AND DISTINCTIONS: General (Code 16(A)): Application by 24th (Heavy) Battery Royal Garrison Artillery for recognition of 1800 as date of formation instead of 1900 1909

Alan

MoKirby: One way to find out about the service of 24th Heavy Battery, RGA is to find a copy of the following book by Harold F. Berdinner, who was a Wireless Operator in the Battery from 1916 to 1919: With the Heavies in Flanders, 1914-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19 published by The Botolph Printing Works, 1922. The title would certainly indicate that the Battery served in Flanders.

Regards. Dick Flory