Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Raw Edge Brodie

jscott

Hi all

I recently picked up this helmet from the US and thought I would post a few pictures on the site for those who are interested. I'm not much of a helmet collector (I'm more interested in unit-marked WW1 bayonets) but do have a few and find them a fascinating addition to my collection.

Anyway, my understanding is that this is a first model non-magnetic shell - probably originally issued in 1916, with the British split pins, which has later been refurbished with the subsequent liner and repainted with textured paint (although this finish is still very similar to my other war time Brodies so am assuming this is all WW1-era refurbishment). My basic understanding is that the 'FKS 76' marking is likely for Thomas Firth & Sons, with the 76 being a non-chronological batch number.

Was thrilled to find this at a very reasonable price as I have wanted an early raw-edge Brodie for a while but all the examples I have previously seen were priced at many multiples of what I could afford!

Cheers, Jonathan

post-55285-0-34100500-1440566413_thumb.j

post-55285-0-91702500-1440566462_thumb.j

post-55285-0-01276500-1440566578_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Hi Jonathan

I realise this is a very late reply but I've only just seen this thread. Your Brodie appears to have its original liner. The first pattern "tongue" liner usually appears on the earliest production Brodies with the narrow strap guide plates. The later raw edge Brodies like this one, with the wider guide plates, are usually found with the first version of the second pattern liner, ie this one without the rubber donut introduced in June 1917. They very seldom turn up with the first pattern liner, and when they do they tend to be "hybrids" with the second pattern chinstrap, presumably using up old stock.

The second pattern liner was probably introduced at around the same time the guide plates were widened. I've never seen any evidence to support the notion that all raw edge helmets with second pattern liners are relined ones that originally had first pattern liners or have somehow lost their rims. The vast majority of surviving later raw edge helmets have the second pattern liner and it seems reasonable to assume that this is how they were made. Of course this is only an assumption and I'm willing to change it if presented with new evidence.

Regards, W.

Jonathan,

I have in the back of my mind that "76" may be the batch number of the steel from which the helmet was made, but I stand to be corrected.

Regards,

JMB

Was thrilled to find this at a very reasonable price as I have wanted an early raw-edge Brodie for a while but all the examples I have previously seen were priced at many multiples of what I could afford!

Jonathan,

Yes, you should be thrilled, nice find !

Regards,

LF

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, Paul Cartwright said:

Hi i collect post war tank ordnance but recently took an interest in helmets, just wanted your thoughts on this raw edge brodie please 

Screenshot_20231219_140007_com.facebook.katana_edit_951019454184043.jpg

Screenshot_20231219_140002_com.facebook.katana_edit_951033321833520.jpg

Screenshot_20231219_135953_com.facebook.katana_edit_951080411077784.jpg

It looks like a good one here - Hadfields Steel of Sheffield makers mark, correct early type thin chinstrap loops, no sign of a later rim having accidentally or deliberately being removed.