Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

MotherMave

I have been looking at the records for individual soldiers effects and often find the initials R.P as in the record below.

John Hughes in the UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Name: John Hughes

Death Date: 18 Dec 1916 30TH Gen. Hospital

Regimental Number: T4/219007

Sole Legatee was his widow Mary C. Hughes who was paid £4.13s 3d on the 17th May 1917 and his War Gratuity of £3. 0s 0d on the 8th October 1919. There was another amount of £1. 5s 1d, R.P. to Rech? - date of authority 5th May 1917.

Can anyone help decipher what is on these records, besides the obvious - Sole Legatee etc. Many thanks in advance - Mavis Williams

The registers do show entries where accounts have been adjusted on settlement to recover what appears to be over payments. Without the original pay register you can probably never be certain but I would tend towards the same as Johnboy as it being some recovery of wages.

Craig

Thank you so much, I am adding the extra info onto the soldier's stories and just want to get things right. What small amounts they had and the War Gratuity was just the same, trifling amounts for their sacrifice. Thanks again, Mavis

Hi Roger, Thank you so much, so that is what the R.P. was Regimental Paymaster - logical really I suppose!! I do like to know what I am researching, it is so much more enjoyable and if anyone asks, then I know I am saying the right thing, instead of guessing. Thanks again, Mavis