Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

map sheet 11?

SimonRobbins

I'm looking for a map of the area around coxyde bains (now called Koksijde-bad) on the coast of Belgium near the French border

It seems to be to the west of sheet 12 and North of sheet 19. Sheet 11SE would make sense but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Most of that sheet would be in the sea but there is a bit between the French border and Nieupoort which is what i want. What I am really looking for is the location of Yorkshire camp in 1917/18.

Thanks

Yorkshire Camp seems to listed as Oost-Dunkerke on a few sites, that implies it was on the narrow strip of land East of Dunkerque so would be on sheet 19. The ground South of that looks a bit damp for the establishment of camps.

None of the 1:20,000, 1:40,000 or 1:100,000 I looked at showed a Yorkshire Camp.

Howard

This a fragment of one of Haig's maps showing a village called Oost-Dunkerke with markup that just might be what you want.

Howard

post-991-0-44391900-1440496107_thumb.jpg

i have a trench map of this area somewhere i will have a look

This a fragment of one of Haig's maps showing a village called Oost-Dunkerke with markup that just might be what you want.

Howard

Thanks, that's the area I was wanting although not quite all of it. When you say "a fragment of one of Haig's maps" are you referring to the jpg file or the surviving map itself. Does the rest of it still survive somewhere?

Regarding your previous post, I made that mistake as well, at first. Dunkerque is in France but Oostduinkerke, as it appears on modern maps, is about 15 miles up the coast in Belgium. The attached map, from the National Library of Scotland site, shows a small triangle of land to the west of sheet 12SW and north of sheet 19NE. The map you send covers part but not all of that triangle.

Thanks again for your help.

i have a trench map of this area somewhere i will have a look

That would be very useful, thanks.

post-123676-0-97101600-1440507653_thumb.

How interesting.

Yes it does seem to be an anomalous triangle uncovered by any of the other maps.

And that triangle must be about 15,500yds x 4,000 yds.

A not insignificant patch of land in Western Front terms.

Did Sheet 11 ever exist I wonder?

McMaster don't list it either.

Howard

Hi,

Sorry, one thing I forgot to ask was do you know what the various squares and circles drawn on the map represent?

thanks

the maps I have are 12`S SW2 and SW3 Peter Chasseaud`s guide does list 11SE2 and 11SE4 "Belgium base"

Thanks, that's the area I was wanting although not quite all of it. When you say "a fragment of one of Haig's maps" are you referring to the jpg file or the surviving map itself. Does the rest of it still survive somewhere?

Regarding your previous post, I made that mistake as well, at first. Dunkerque is in France but Oostduinkerke, as it appears on modern maps, is about 15 miles up the coast in Belgium. The attached map, from the National Library of Scotland site, shows a small triangle of land to the west of sheet 12SW and north of sheet 19NE. The map you send covers part but not all of that triangle.

It is only a fragment as the system has a 250Mb file size limit. I do have the whole map and several versions of sheets 11, 12, 19 etc. in various scales. I had a look at all of them but sadly there was no trace of Yorkshire Camp.

On the Haig map, there is no legend that shows the various squares and circles, I posted it in desperation really as it was the only one of a couple of dozen maps that even gave a hint of where the camp was. It does not show on railway maps either.

Howard

I'm posting this section of map that a fellow forum member very kindly supplied me with some time ago... I hope it's ok to do this....

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-61912700-1440577337_thumb.jp

... I hope it's ok to do this....

No problem. It's an extract of a French trench map from July 1917 which, unfortunately even though it depicts defences, doesn't show camps. Here's another image from the same map showing the area of Oostdunkerke in more detail...

Dave

post-357-0-69769200-1440586330_thumb.jpg

...and a German map extract that actually does depict hutted encampments (the hached boxes) in the area...

post-357-0-27416000-1440586489_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave...I thought you'd pop up mate...!!

regards

Tom

Here is a fragment of a railway map of the area, dated June 1917.

The names are mainly Canadian.

Howard

post-991-0-53392900-1440596740_thumb.jpg

I've found it and thought I'd record it here in case anyone else comes to this thread seeking the same. I had a moment of inspiration and looked at ancestry.co.uk for any battalion's war diary that mentioned the camp, hoping that one of them would record where it was. Sure enough the South African Infantry Regiment also went there and recorded the grid reference as X.3.a also there was a "Yorkshire Farm" at X.3.a.9.1

Not that I need it but if anyone wonders where Middlesex Camp was, it was at R.32.d.5.9

I've found it and thought I'd record it here in case anyone else comes to this thread seeking the same. I had a moment of inspiration and looked at ancestry.co.uk for any battalion's war diary that mentioned the camp, hoping that one of them would record where it was. Sure enough the South African Infantry Regiment also went there and recorded the grid reference as X.3.a also there was a "Yorkshire Farm" at X.3.a.9.1

Not that I need it but if anyone wonders where Middlesex Camp was, it was at R.32.d.5.9

Well done. I have since found out the square symbol in post #3 was a 12" gun. Noisy neighbours!

Howard