Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gospel according to Saint John. "Actice Service 1914-18"

Don

I have a replica of the above.There are pictures in it.

Has any Pal got an original one, and are there pictures in the original booklet.

I would be grateful if a Pal could let me know, or even better post a copy of an original one

Regards

Gerry

Trying to track one down for you but it will be easier if you can let me know the date it was originally issued - thanks!

sJ

Hi Jane,

It doesn't give an exact date, but there is a Message from Lord Roberts on the front inside page date 25 August 1914.

Regards

Gerry

st-john-gospel.jpg

Saint John's Gospel 1914 and 2014 editions

Rediscovering the story of the Bible in the First World War

Jeremy Williams, SGM Lifewords

During the First World War, London-based publisher Scripture Gift Mission distributed 43 million pocket-sized gospels and New Testaments.

To mark the 100th anniversary of the war the charity, now called SGM Lifewords, set out to re-create one of those Gospels.

Thanks. Source I was hoping for doesn't hold it, alas.

www.copac.ac.uk has catalogue records for two editions: of these the 1915 is stated on the title page to have illustrations (although the cataloguer [slapped wrist, bad cataloguer!] has not recorded the same in the "physical description" field i.e. the pages/size etc. field. The 1914 neither mentions nore records illustrations, and is also smaller, which makes me think it really did have none.

sJ

Here are the records - a single recorded UK copy of each in the British Library:-

The Gospel according to Saint John. Illustrated from sketches made in the Holy Land by H. A. Harper and J. Clark. [With hymns.] (The “Daily Portion” Gospel of St. John. “Active Service,” 1914-1915.). London : Scripture Gift Mission [1915]. 94 p. ; 16º.

The Pocket Gospel of St. John, indicating the way of salvation by emphasized passages. (“Active Service,” 1914.) [With hymns.]. London : Scripture Gift Mission [1914]. 84 p. ; 16º.

Should also have said: the records in the catalogue will have taken the words from the title page, not the front cover, which accounts for the difference.

Thank you Jane for your help.

I will keep checking ebay.One of the millions that were printed just might turn up.

Regards

Gerry

• 4 years later...
On 24/08/2015 at 12:11, Don said:

I have a replica of the above.There are pictures in it.

Has any Pal got an original one, and are there pictures in the original booklet.

I would be grateful if a Pal could let me know, or even better post a copy of an original one

Regards

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Here's one of mine from 1917. There are four pictures in total, Money Changers' Bazaar, Samaritan Village and the two shown. At the back there are also the words and music to 6 Hymns.

St.Johns.... (3).jpg

St.Johns (2).jpg

St.Johns.... (2).jpg