Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Michael Herbert Edmonds Colton, Notts.Sherwood Rangers Yeo.

Old Owl

Remembering Today: 1715 Pte Michael Herbert Edmonds Colton, Stretcher Bearer, 'A' Squadron, 1/1st Notts.Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry who was killed in action whilst rescuing and tending to the wounded at Scimitar Hill on the 22nd August,1915. Age 21.

Michael was the eldest son of the late Michael Herbert Colton and of Minnie Jane Colton of South Scarle Hall, near Newark, Notts. He was educated at the Magnus Grammar School, Newark. Upon leaving school he was employed at the office of Messrs.Edward Bailey and Sons, Auctioneers and was called up with his squadron on the outbreak of war. He had joined the Sherwood Rangers some 2.1/2 years ago and was most diligent in his duties. He was District Scoutmaster for the local Newark area and was also Scoutmaster at Carlton-on-Trent.

Major Harold Thorpe wrote to his mother:

"You will have heard by now that your brave son has given his life for his country and for the benefit of his fellow soldiers. I hear that he brought no fewer than 14 men out of one patch of burning gorse and personally dressed the wounds of ten of them. Unfortunately he was struck in the head by a shrapnel bullet and fell mortally wounded. I cannot express my admiration of the work done by the stretcher bearers. I wish that I could have written this and that your son was still here with us. He has always been in my squadron and has always been the model of what a soldier should be. All liked him and everyone who knew him will feel the deepest sympathy for you in your loss."

Yours Truly,

Harold Thorpe

His younger brother 2/Lt Stanley Edmonds Colton, M.C., 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, was killed in action on the 28th March,1918. Age 19.

RIP :poppy::poppy:

post-121135-0-29876700-1440350260_thumb.