Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Practice trenches at Ponteland

HERITAGE PLUS

Practice trenches were dug at Pontelands by the Tyneside Irish.

Do they still exist?

Would anyone be able to provide me with a photo' of them from the time and/or now?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you know the location of them? I might be able to help if you or someone else can tell me where to look.

Michael

I know there are still army owned ranges just outside Ponteland - if you look on google maps for Park House Nursery on the Berwick Hill Road they can be seen, maybe they are / were in that area.

I've just made a quick phone call to the local library in Ponteland who put me onto the local history society.

The society chairman says he has never heard of any trenches being dug in the village but also guessed that if there was any they may be around the ranges I mentioned in post 4. He said the only ones he had heard of were at Otterburn but also asked for an update if we manage to track any down.

Michael

Thanks for your replies gents - thanks Shiny for making those calls.

My information about the existence of the trenches comes from John Sheen's book.

Dave

Sod's law that the Darras Hall estate was built on top of them...

- brummell

Hi Brummell,

Not that I'm doubting you but how do you know that?

It would be good to be able to tell the local history people as they didn't know about them.

Michael

Shiny,

Sorry, I was only speculating! I don't know that at all. I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Hopefully not.

- brummell

Trenches in Darras Hall and Ponteland? They must have been very posh trenches. For officers only?

Trenches in Darras Hall and Ponteland? They must have been very posh trenches. For officers only?

A good possibility.

Craig

Shiny,

Sorry, I was only speculating! I don't know that at all. I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Hopefully not.

- brummell

No problem, glad I checked.