Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French and Belgian farmers

Mat McLachlan

Hi all,

I'm interested to hear other Pals' experiences with French and Belgian landowners on the battlefields. Without exception, I've found them extremely friendly. Even with my painfully limited French (and zero Flemish) I'm able to communicate with them - by sign language if neccessary - and they are usually keen to point out some interesting feature of the battles that took place on their land. The family who own Mouquet Farm were especially nice when I knocked on their door, showing me the foundations of the original farm and the veritable mountain of relics they have collected in their fields. The farmer wouldn't let me leave without pressing (unfired) German and British cartridges into my hand.

The first time I went to Belgium, one farmer shook my hand and kept repeating 'thank you, thank you' when he found out I was Australian! Not a typical reaction I'm sure, but nice anyway.

I'm interested to hear about good or bad experiences from other Pals. Do you think the landowners will become less accommodating as visitor numbers continue to rise?

Cheers,

Mat

The only time I came in direct contact with a farmer was near Poiziers at the Bunker which is identified as the one Hitler was briefly in. I was standig at the edge of the road when he noticed me trying to get a picture. He came over from what he was doing and encouraged me to go over and see the structure. After a very brief while it was obvious I spoke no French so the only word we exchanged (repeatedly) was Hitler, Hitler, and Hitler.

He was defintely very friendly, and went out of his way so I could get a better picture.

Andy

Always had a great response from Farmers even when we wandered onto a seeded field!

We always wave and say hello if we see a farmer and never park accross a track or knowingly go onto a seeded or cropping field.

My so had a great time this October trying his newly acquired french on local farmers, not sure if they understood much!

tony

A wave and a 'bon jour' works wonders as you wander (!) the fields.

Ditto for Flanders

Or you could use some of the many Gallic expressions so deftly used by Delboy in Only Fools and Horses! (Didn`t they appear in a recent thread?) A cheery "Duck a l`orange" should do the trick. Phil B

Had a very bizarre and nasty experience at Serre on the Somme 1998.A party of 8 visiting in two 4X4s. Went to go up the track by the farm to Sheffield memorial park, Mathew Mark Copses and cemetaries etc. There were a couple of 5 gallon drums in the entrance and tractors with equipment working in the fields. Stopped off the track in the layby by the first cemetary, young man in 20s leaps out rushes over shouting incomprehensibly leans in through window, yanks keys out of ignition rushes back to tractor and carries on,drives dangerously at us with tractor when we try to stop him to talk.He also rushed into the house at one point and we were genuinely worried he may have gone for a gun so deranged did he seem. At that point we deemed it wiser to beat a retreat and seek help. To cut a long story short situation escalates via very helpful CWGC gardeners found in other cemetery to the local mayor via the phone almost becoming an international incident as we all have a right of unhindered access to cemeteries. Situation not helped by being lunchtime with this blokes father, the mayor and almost every other frog in existance having pushed off to various cafes for lunch and aperitifs. try separating them from the trough. Gardeners tell us this chap is well known locally as an unfortunate mentally retarded son and this is not the first case of this sort to have occurred.

Eventually the mayor tracked down the lads father who came back and retrieved our keys. A complaint to the local gendarmerie just met with a Gallic shrug.

But a complaint to the CWGC was taken very seriously and even raised at the level of the Prefect of the Pas De Calais the top administrtor. We understand fom some feedback the poor chap was readmitted to hospital and the local gendarmes got a bit of a bol***king sorry telling off and told to be a bit more pro active around the site. Dont know if any pal has experienced anything similar there or elsewhere. if so the moral is do complain to the CWGC who will take any such incident seriously and can raise it at the highest level.

Otherwise evryone else in France and belgium have all been extremely polite.

salientguide

Crikey SG... I've heard the local farmer is a little touchy about access to the cemetery but didn't know this sort of thing went on! I've been there many times and never had a problem... I'll keep a wary eye out in future though!

Cheers,

Mat

In the interest of balance I have always found the farmer at Serre to be friendly and he has acknowledged me with a friendly wave on a number of occasions.

However I understand that its best not to take your vehicles up the path but leave them outside one of the cemeteries on the main road. It does get very busy up the path with tour parties regularly walking up to the copses - I could imagine how this busy access would irk someone who was trying to farm the land.

Mike S

Usually when I go there I am the only person around.

I would not drive up the track though; what is wrong with walking?

There have been one or two problems with access to the Sheffield Memorial Park area in the past, but the farmer himself is a very friendly man. In fact, I would say that they all are, as far as my experience goes. The problem comes from their DOGS but this is only a problem if you try to go into the farmyards themselves, which you have to do if you want to ask for advice/permission etc. The best thing to do is to stay in the car and let the dog slaver until someone comes out to see what all the noise is about.

Sometimes you have to go through a farm to get to a cemetery. If the dog's out, be very careful. Free access to cemeteries? Phooey! You only need to take one look at some of these dogs to know that they've near even heard of the CWGC.

Tom

"Usually when I go there I am the only person around."

Perhaps i'm just unlucky - I always seem to pick the moment when a coachload turns up. Last month it was one from Co Durham, time before a group of cadets.

At the very least there always seems to a handful of other people about.

mike

The problem comes from their DOGS but this is only a problem if you try to go into the farmyards themselves.

Show me a farmer's dog anywhere in the world that wants you in the farmyard. They are only doing their job!

The vast majority of the farmers in France and Belgium I have bumped into have been courtious and friendly, unlike some I have bumped into in this country. Likewise, some of their dogs have been friendly as well, including one I remember at a farm near Messines (I forget which one) who took a particular shine to my Dad and rolled over for his tummy to be tickled!! :lol:

My experience has been similar to Andrew's, meeting many farmers who are courteous and friendly, sometimes keen to show what is hidden in the barn, or the wood, or the family photos before the war or in the 1920s. Some effort by the visitor, such as parking sensibly, not treading on crops, a friendly wave to the man in the tractor, often has an effect on the next visitor....

Peter.

Better don't try to acces the road along "Hamburg" farm near Tyne Cot. Although the road is officially public, you can have serious problems with the farmer in accessing it.

Erwin

Well I did say it was a totally bizarre incident well outside of any usual refusal to allow passage or passing rudeness. I must stress the unfortuneate young man is

apparently a relative of the farmer there, not the farmer himself who was quite apologetic when he finally returned. I would also add the track is actually the access track used by the cwgc for access to all its areas and is actually an unmade road marked on the large scale blue map. It goes past all the cemeteries eventually emerging back onto a road past another farm at its furthest end so I am not sure it is actually the farmers to block off or limit as her sees fit. certainly on the day in question the tractors and trailers were not using the track but just driving straight across the field. There is a parking layby by the first cemetary so the track will not be obstructed at all.

I think the lesson from this sort of extreme incident is withdraw and seek outside help and , again I stress, do complain to the CWGC with full details. If they know about an ongoing problem they will try and rectify it. If they dont--then it will continue.

salientguide

I've been to the Sheffield Memorial Park half a dozen times and always park in the small layby (space for about two cars) next to the park. It doesn't block traffic and I've never had a problem there. (Particularly notable considering I tend to spend an hour or more poking around.)

I must say that I have had nothing other than courtesy and friendliness in my visits to Belgium & France.

The only odd moment I can recall was around Mametz. We were driving down towards the old Mametz Station from the village , when I realised I was being chased by a farmer in an old, beaten up Peugeot 305. I tried to get away from him, but I couldn't shake him, so reluctantly I pulled over and awaited some rant about trespassing. Anyway he came over & beckoned me towards the boot of his car, I followed him, with a bit of trepidation, fearing a shotgun or something. However , when I got there he smiled and said I could have the stuff he had ploughed up that day, two fuse caps of large British shells and a barbed wire stake.

Just goes to show I suppose.

I had a similar experience once with a local at Pozieres. He saw me walking near the AIF 1st Div memorial and dragged me over to his car to show me a boot full of driving bands, fuses, etc. The only difference was, he wanted 10 Euros for each piece! Thanks but no thanks...

Perhaps if the Belgians had erected all the Keep-out, Tresspassers prosecuted etc etcetc signs in German, WW1 could not have happenned.

You can't go 10o metres in any direction without being confronted by them.

Pat

Perhaps if the Belgians had erected all the Keep-out, Tresspassers prosecuted etc etcetc signs in German, WW1 could not have happenned.

You can't go 10o metres in any direction without being confronted by them.

Pat

:blink:?....by the signs, by the Germans or by the Belgiums? :lol:

ooRoo, that's history! In those days the Belgiums refused to write signs in German

Pardon?

post-4-1101247140.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

When we were near the Railway Dugouts South of Ieper, the local farmer made a point of coming up to us, not just to warn us that we had parked in the bike lane (a capital offence it seems) but to say "Thank you for winning the war". I could see from his face that he was quite moved, so was I.

Howard