Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Sword

Gareth Davies

Any thoughts on the age and value of this sword, believed to be Great War vintage.

post-61373-0-92599600-1439990389_thumb.j

post-61373-0-84171000-1439990473_thumb.j

post-61373-0-21686600-1439990524_thumb.j

1912 Pattern Officers. Arguably one of the best swords ever produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1908_and_1912_cavalry_swords

Value given its corroded condition would be less than £100. Easy to check on Bosleys auction website for past sales. They have probably sold hundreds of these in the past decades. Condition, completeness (scabbard?) and provenance are drivers of prices. This is not a rare item and unless it belonged to someone famous is not worth much. It would cost more to have it restored that it would to buy one in this condition. MG

Thank you Martin. The sword in the photographs was donated to a charity shop in Oxford (a chum of mine is their head of fundraising).

Thank you Martin. The sword in the photographs was donated to a charity shop in Oxford (a chum of mine is their head of fundraising).

I doubt it would make £50 in an auction simply because there are lots of them and many in much better condition.

I sold a modest collection a few years ago which included two in VGC as well as the soldiers 1909 pattern.

Thank you, I will pass all of that on.

• 3 months later...

I doubt it would make £50 in an auction simply because there are lots of them and many in much better condition.

I sold a modest collection a few years ago which included two in VGC as well as the soldiers 1909 pattern.

You had a collection did you? Do you still collect by chance Martin? I had no clue.......

• 2 weeks later...

You had a collection did you? Do you still collect by chance Martin? I had no clue.......

Apologies for the late response. I did not see this as I had not tagged this thread.,

I don't collect swords. I just happened to have some which were passed down. Nothing of any great quality or importance.

I see Martin. I'm sure they were all fine swords associated with your family's history and given this, no doubt had inspired you to become a Gurkha officer.

As a former Gurkha officer, here is something you'll appreciate. It's the sword of Lieutenant Colonel Erskine MC, 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles 1888-1962 and his medal group.

post-88538-0-39068000-1450069685_thumb.j

post-88538-0-67733800-1450069693_thumb.j