Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reunited after 97 years

hmsk212

Hi

Over the years I have been lucky enough to reunite about a dozen or so Victory Medals with their relevant War Medals but for the first time I have now managed to make a different kind of pairing. I have recently acquired the Memorial Plaque for 2 Lt John Cecil George Drummond who was a pilot killed in action on 8th October 1918 whilst serving with 59 Squadron. The big plus is that I already had the Memorial Plaque for 2 Lt Percy Chavasse, his observer, in my collection. They were flying together in RE8 E229 and became the 19th Victory of Oblt Otto Schmidt of Jasta 5. Unfortunately neither of them were ever found so they are are both named on the Arras Flying Services Memorial. It feels great to reunite two comrades in arms.

Steve

Well done and quite unusual I would imagine to have both together

Hi Justin,

Percy Chavasse was born in 1890 in West Hampton, Staffs and prior to serving with the RAF he served as an Indian Army Reserve Officer with the 74th Indian Labour Company. He joined the RAF on 2nd April 1918 and qualified as an observer on 14th September 1918. Percy joined 59 Squadron on 2nd October 1918 and after only 9 hours flying time at the front he was killed in action on 8th October 1918.

John Percy George Drummond was quite a bit younger than Percy being born in Chiswick, Middx in 1899. On 24th September 1917 he joined the RFC straight from school originally serving as 3AM Cadet Pilot with the service number 96608. He became a 2nd Lieutenant on 5th January 1918 and qualified as a pilot on 14th May 1918. He joined 59 squadron in France on 6th July 1918. On 23rd August 1918 whilst on a counter attack patrol with 2Lt H S Dudson as his observer they were heavily fired at by rifle and machine gun fire from Miraumont, Irles & Achiet le Grand. They were both uninjured but on landing they checked over their machine, RE8 D4740, and it was then that they noticed a shot had gone through the top cross member of John's pilot seat, a close shave indeed. John had 40 hours flying time with 59 Squadron prior to his loss on 8th October in RE8 E229.

Steve

• 1 year later...
On 18/08/2015 at 08:24, hmsk212 said:

Percy Chavasse was born in 1890 in West Hampton, Staffs and prior to serving with the RAF he served as an Indian Army Reserve Officer with the 74th Indian Labour Company. He joined the RAF on 2nd April 1918 and qualified as an observer on 14th September 1918. Percy joined 59 Squadron on 2nd October 1918 and after only 9 hours flying time at the front he was killed in action on 8th October 1918.

I know it is a long time since you posted this, but do you mind if I add a little to your post regarding Percy and his life?

Percy birth was registered in WOLVERHAMPTON, Staffordshire, "Percy Chavasse TIVEY", 1890 September Quarter, Wolverhampton District of Staffordshire, Volume 6b Page 547: He was the son of HARRY CHAVASSE, a clerk, later Auditor. and his "common law" wife Agnes Lucretia Tivey (1866-1906) He was baptized 15th August 1898   along with his sister Agnes Irene Chavasse at St Pancras Church, London, Middlesex: Entry No 502, Percy, Son of Henry & Agnes Lucretia Chavasse, of 11 Endsleigh Terrace, Father's Occupation - Clerk, Birth date Aug 11th 1890:

NOTES: 1891 England Census: residing at No 3 Stratford Place, Merridah Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire: Harry Chavasse, Aged 32, Married, Clerk, Born Staffordshire  : Agnes L Chavasse, Married, Aged 24, Born London: Percy Chavasse, Son, Aged 7 Months, Born Wolverhampton: Source Citation - Class: RG12; Piece: 2229; Folio: 18; Page: 30;

1901 England Census - Residing at  No 11, Dukes Road Endsleigh Terrace, St Pancras, with mother's brother Charles Ascot Tivey and grandmother Lucretia:: Charles Tivey, Aged 27, Head, Worker, Born Staffs, Wolverhampton: Lucretia Tivey, Mother, Widow, aged 68, Tailoress, At Home, Born Cambridge, Harston: Agnes Chavasse, Sister, Aged 34, Married, Tailoress, Born London St James: Percy Chavasse, Nephew, Aged 10, Born Wolverhampton, Staffs: Agnes Irene Chavasse, Neice, Aged 7 Born Wolverhampton, Staffs: Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 136; Folio: 25; Page: 41.

I havent found Percy in the 1911 census, his mother passed away in 1906, his sister was residing with her grandmother Lucretia Tivey. I am assuming that he may have been in India by this time. I am informed by a Tivey family member that he spent a lot of time with his cousins Amy Elizabeth Tivey and William Henry Tivey, whilst serving as an Indian Army Reservist in Naini Jai, Bengal,  India. I did manage to find a couple of Mason's entries for lodge membership which conforms he was in India 1912-1915 and found an entry in the London Gazzette regarding a temporary promotion - " (12 April 1918 page 4439) Percy is Listed as being promoted from a second Lieutanant to be Temporary Lieutenants as of 30th August 1917, Indian Army Reserve of Officers."  He transferred to the RAF (RFC) 16 June 1918 and you have gratefully listed the rest of his short flying career.

Unfortunately I havent managed to pin down a photo of him yet. The photos attached are of the house that Percy often stayed as a guest, William Henry Tivey was a Commisionaire of the Works Department and Honoury Lieutenant. He is pictured with his staff.

Finally, Percy left his effects to  his sister Agnes Irene Chavasse who later married the actor  Fredrick George Merritt. 

Probate - Chavasse, Percy of 7 Trinity-ave Lenton, Nottingham, second lieutenant R A F died 8 October 1918 in France on active service. Administration London 11 September 1919, to Agnes Irene Chavasse, spinster. Effects £384 7s 4d.

Hope this short Biography is of use.

Kind Regards

Tiveyfamilytree

House in India Inside.JPG

House in India.JPG

William Henry Tivey in India.JPG

Hi,

I am very grateful for the additional information, I was aware of some of it but I was not aware of how he was connected to the Tivey Family. As far as his RAF career goes, before embarking for France on 29th September 1918, he served under instruction at Reading ( 1 School of Aeronautics) from 10th July 1918 to 27th July 1918, Uxbridge (Armament School ) from 28th July 1918 to 10th August 1918, New Romney  ( 1 "Observers" School of Aerial Gunnery ) from 17th August 1918 to 30th August 1918 and Winchester ( RAF and Army Co-operation School ) from 30th August 1918 to 28th September 1918. On arrival in France he went to No 2 Aeroplane Supply Depot which I think may have been at Berck-sur-Mer  before being posted to B Flight of 59 Squadron on 2nd October 1918 which I think was at Bihucourt.

Steve

3 hours ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi,

I am very grateful for the additional information, I was aware of some of it but I was not aware of how he was connected to the Tivey Family. As far as his RAF career goes, before embarking for France on 29th September 1918, he served under instruction at Reading ( 1 School of Aeronautics) from 10th July 1918 to 27th July 1918, Uxbridge (Armament School ) from 28th July 1918 to 10th August 1918, New Romney  ( 1 "Observers" School of Aerial Gunnery ) from 17th August 1918 to 30th August 1918 and Winchester ( RAF and Army Co-operation School ) from 30th August 1918 to 28th September 1918. On arrival in France he went to No 2 Aeroplane Supply Depot which I think may have been at Berck-sur-Mer  before being posted to B Flight of 59 Squadron on 2nd October 1918 which I think was at Bihucourt.

Steve

Thank you Steve for this detailed RAF career detail, it is most appreciated :) 

• 6 years later...

Thank you for this information. although I realise it is some time since this was posted.

A second cousin of mine is related to Agnes Irene Chavasse, and therefore  Irene's brother Percy.

It would be interesting to see a copy of the Memorial Plaque for Percy Chavasse if this is available please? I could then forward this to my cousin.

Many thanks,

Martin Robinson