Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EB58 Ersatz

motojosh

Added this rather neat EB58 variant to the collection. Unlike the type made with high muzzle ring to fit the Belgian model 1889 Mauser rifle this one has a low ring to fit the SMLE. Single D fraktur on blade spine.

2_1.jpg

1_1.jpg

3_1.jpg

From the Collectors Book of German Bayonets part 2 by Roy Williams:

4_1.jpg

And a very nice find it is! Being sawback removed, then this is an example still in front line service in September 1917. I never realised just how shapely the quillon was on these until I saw your bottom photograph.

Also, an interesting way of attaching crossguard and hilt, each side of the hilt piece having a lug at the front end for the crossguard to be slotted onto. But how was it all assembled? Was the hilt and crossguard assembly slid down the tang to be rivetted into place? Or was the crossguard slid down the blade to fit onto the in place hilt? Either way, I see what might be one central rivet, and I assume there is another somewhere for the pommel block. Can you see the seam on the hilt? On the top or the bottom.? And, can you see the pommel block at the end of the hilt?

Julian

And a very nice find it is! Being sawback removed, then this is an example still in front line service in September 1917. I never realised just how shapely the quillon was on these until I saw your bottom photograph.

Also, an interesting way of attaching crossguard and hilt, each side of the hilt piece having a lug at the front end for the crossguard to be slotted onto. But how was it all assembled? Was the hilt and crossguard assembly slid down the tang to be rivetted into place? Or was the crossguard slid down the blade to fit onto the in place hilt? Either way, I see what might be one central rivet, and I assume there is another somewhere for the pommel block. Can you see the seam on the hilt? On the top or the bottom.? And, can you see the pommel block at the end of the hilt?

Julian

Thanks Julian. I can make out two rivets which I've circled in this photo. There's an example pictured on pg 161 of Williams pt 2 where you can see the rivets better. I couldn't find any visible seams on the hilt.

Hilt.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

Thanks Josh. Sometimes those seams are hard to spot on the ones with this type of hilt... On one of my 'Ersatz' it can only be seen really because somebody used the pommel end as a hammer and so opened it up.

Josh,

another real nice find & quite a rarity, would look the part on my SMLE if you ever decide to sell ;)

Seriously tho, well sone mate, aint came across any over this side of the pond or many in online collections, congratulations :)

Aleck

Julian,

will fire off an email at the weekend with the other german ersatz etc

Thanks Aleck! I feel really lucky to have come across this one. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I decide to part with it.