Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Blue on Blue" incident at 3rd Battle of Krithia

Lawryleslie

I have been trying to find out information in Gallipoli War Diaries appertaining to RND HQ & 2nd Brigades regarding an incident described in an account of the Battle, written by Lt Geary RM who was the QM for the Collingwood Battalion. The incident involved enfillading fire from the right flank of the Collingwoods delivered by the French who were supporting this flank but were driven back early in the battle. The Collingwoods suffered very heavy casualties in just over half an hour of going over. An extract from Lt Geary's account is attached here. I have the original full account that was given to me many years ago by my Grandfather who was 2 I/C of B Company 3rd Platoon. Has anybody who has studied the War Diaries from Gallipoli come across reference to this incident.

post-112046-0-09425200-1439651613_thumb.

I think that you will find this recent thread to be of interest, and I refer to my post No.20

see

The French attacked at 0800 hrs

However, by noon the Turks had restored the situation with the counter attack by their 3rd Battalion, 34th Regiment

The Collingwoods then moved forward at 1215 hrs and would have been subjected to fire from the Turks who had already (re)occupied positions, which some at the time may have mistakenly thought were still held by the French.

I don't think that the Collingwoods came under French fire; it was almost certainly Turkish

regards

Michael

I agree with Michael.

The Collingwoods were ahead and to the left of the (unadvanced) French line and it is not, therefore, inconceivable that some French rifle fire from the left of their positions may have landed on the right of the Collingwoods. But a 'classic' Blue-on-Blue engagement - NO. "Enfilade fire from the French" (by definition, gunfire directed along the Collingwood line from end to end) was an impossibility given the relative positions. I think Geary got carried away by his own narrative and then, as even today (Calais), it is traditional to blame the French!

Michael and Horatio thank you for your input on this incident. I tend to agree that Geary got it wrong. He does admit that some information may be inaccurate due to his anxiety to get the memoirs published. His intention was to publish a further memoir later as more accurate information became available to him but it doesn't appear that he managed to do this. The whole publication is very interesting to read with detailed biographies of all the Collingwood Battalion Officers. In addition it contains a valuable record of the men of the battalion, wether they were wounded, killed or transferred to other battalions. It also contains their home addresses. I have posted the whole document on Gallipoli 1915 FB page in the photo section if you are interested in reading it.