Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air raids on Canterbury

Noble

I am interested in finding out more about air raids on the city of Canterbury during World War I. I'd be grateful for any suggestions about websites, archives or printed books. Thanks.

I am interested in finding out more about air raids on the city of Canterbury during World War I. I'd be grateful for any suggestions about websites, archives or printed books. Thanks.

Off the top of my head I don't think there were any air raids on the city of Canterbury in WW1.

On the night of 6/7 December 1917 a Gotha bomber was brought down just outside Canterbury and raiders regualrly passed over the city but I can't think of any occasions when it was actually bombed.

Ian

www.IanCastleZeppelin.co.uk

Thanks very much johnboy and Aspern for these responses. The timeline is particularly helpful. Looks like there was very little action over Canterbury. Perhaps a stray Zeppelin raid.

Zeppelin L.11 certainly passed over Canterbury during the raid of 17/18 August 1915 (centenary on Monday!) but the records are clear that she didn't drop any bombs on the city.

Interesting thread ......... just checked my library I have found a reference to Army Zeppelin LZ88 (Hauptmann Falck) visiting the Kent coast on the evening of 26 April 1916 (day after the naval bombardment of Lowestoft), passing over Canterbury on what look likes a "loop" from Herne Bay to Birchington-on-Sea.

The Gotha referred to by Ian crash-landed at Folly Farm, St Stephen's, adjacent to Broad Oak Road, Canterbury. First on the scene was a Red Cross orderly, J B Whilford, who offered assistance to the injured crew. One of the three-man crew then held Mr W at gunpoint whilst his comrades set the aircraft alight. The crew then surrendered!

David