Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Walter Reader RAMC

Steven Reader

Hi,

Trying to get through a bit of research on another of my great grandfathers. Very little has turned up so far apart from his medal card which has uncovered the following. I am aware that he was in the 3rd Home Counties Ambulance post 1917 as that is when they allocated the service number I believe. This also fits family myth as I believe he contracted yellow fever and ended up out in Malta recovering. I am trying to find out which regiment he may have been in before the home counties, I suspect he was in some form of Royal West Kent possibly as that is where he was farming at the time. Are there hospital records for soldiers receiving treatment on Malta that anyone of aware of? I will sit down and read through some of the war diaries over the next few days but any pointers most gratefully received!

First name(s) Walter Last name Reader Service number 497650 Rank Private Badge number B347122 Enlistment date 16-Nov-1914 Discharge date 18-May-1919 Unit from which discharged Royal Army Medical Corps T.F Cause of discharge 392 (xvia) Whether served overseas Yes Badge date of issue 22-Dec-1919 Age on discharge 23 Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920 Category Military, armed forces & conflict Subcategory First World War Collections from Great Britain

Kind regards,

Steven