Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Henry Elliott Byers - killed 12 November 1916

Noor

Hi all,

I am researching and gathering information about Henry Elliott Byers. I think I was able to capture most from London Gazette, Irish Times, CWGC, etc. Just in case if there is anything else interesting out there about him, please let me know or any extra info of the accident/his short service with the RFC.

Also, I have his 1915 Star. If any of you have or know location of his British War Medal and/or Victory Medal, then please let me know.

So far I know:

Henry Elliott BYERS (16th January 1894 – 12 November 1916)

2nd Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps

3rd Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Henry was born in Naas, Co.Kildare at 1894 as a son of Henry Elliott and Frances Hannah (Haslam) Byers. His father was serving NCO in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and mother was an army schoolteacher.

His birth certificate reviles that Henry was born at the 16th January 1894. Also on the birth certificate there is a note that his father, Henry E. Byers was a Sergeant, Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Based on the 1911 census, he was noted as a 17 year old Boy Clerk, in H.M. Civil Service, employed in the Inland Revenue section.

His started his career early, only age of 15 when London Gazette from 3rd December 1909 lists him as a temporary boy clerk.

London Gazette lists him on the 27th June 1912 as a clerk in Second Division after open competition. Then next input follows already on the 5th July 1912 that shows him as a assistant clerk with Irish Land Commission. Following that, on the 6th September 1912 and shows his assignment to the Second Division as a clerk in the Post Office in Dublin. Article of him reviles that he was working in the accountant’s branch in the GPO.

When the Great War broke out, Henry Elliott Byers enlisted into the 6th Battalion of Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) as a Private (service number 1558). After initial training he entered into theatre of war France 2nd May 1915. But he didn’t staid in France long. February he came back from the front line and he was commissioned into the 3rd Battalion Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry 6th July 1916. Few weeks later he was attached to the Royal Flying Corps, 16 Reserve Squadron in order to learn how to fly an airplane.

Henry was killed at the age of 22 on Sunday, 12th November 1916 during training flight. What happened that day is recorded in Weekly Irish Times from 2nd December 1916 and includes his picture printed:

“Sec. Lieut. Henry Elliott (Harry) Byers, killed in aeroplane accident at Beaulieu, Hants. on November 12th, 1916, aged 22 years was the second son of Henry Elliott and Frances Byers, 18 Ellesmere avenue, N.C. road, Dublin. Educated at the Diocesan school, Molesworth street, Dublin. He entered the Civil Service, and was appointed a Second Division Clerk in the Accountants Branch, G.P.O., Dublin. With and older brother he joined the Black Watch (Territorials), and on the outbreak of war left for duty in Scotland. Volunteering for active service they went with their battalion to France in May 1915, the younger brother returning in February 1916, to take up a commission. He was gazetted to the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry on July 7th, 1916, and was attached to the Royal Flying Corps a few weeks later. His elder brother and two younger brothers are at present serving with the Black Watch.”

Casualty card states nature and cause of accident “appeared to be out of control at 3000 ft and nosedived. No evidence to show cause of accident.

Henry’s body was moved to Dublin and he is resting in the Grangegorman Military Cemetery. In the same place also his brother Sergeant George Elliott Byers is commemorated. He was killed in action at Bapaume, France, on 21st March 1918.

The casualty card is actually 'Appeared to be out of control at 3000ft and nosedived.'

Accident was in Curtiss JN-4 serial A1255 at 16 Reserve Squadron

The casualty card is actually 'Appeared to be out of control at 3000ft and nosedived.'

Accident was in Curtiss JN-4 serial A1255 at 16 Reserve Squadron

i should go to the specsavers :) Thank you for that!

Excellent research and writeup.

Has the Byers grave in Grangegorman Cemetery, fallen over and broken ? As it seems to be in very poor condition.

Thanks Jonathan! I have even longer newspaper article in my possession now, that describe that accident. I hope to find some time to type it in.

Yes, looks like his grave is broken and cross is on the ground.

• spof changed the title to 2nd Lt Henry Elliott Byers - killed 12 November 1916
  • 10 months later...

Hello I believe I am a great niece of Henry Elliott Byers and George Elliott Byers. 
Currently in France and hoping to visit George’s grave on Wednesday. 
I would be grateful if you have any further information. My mum is very elderly and memory fading so trying to piece things together! 
The information from the Dublin cemetery is fascinating and I hope to visit again soon now that Covid doors are opening up again. 

14 hours ago, Lark said:

George Elliott Byers. 

Hi Lark,

A warm welcome to GWF.

LCpl (A/Sgt) George Elliott BYERS, 265205, 6th Royal Highlanders - KiA 21.3.18

= From his MIC:

He landed (1) France, 2/5/15 = a 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal 'trio'.

= From the Long, Long Trail: Royal Highlanders (Black Watch), 1/6th (Perthshire) Battalion:

August 1914 : in Perth. Part of Black Watch Brigade, unallocated to a Division. Moved to Queensferry on Forth Defences.
Moved to Tay Defences in November 1914.
16 April 1915 : moved to Bedford and attached to 2nd Highland Brigade in Highland Division.
Landed at Boulogne on 2 May 1915.
12 May 1915 : formation became 153rd Brigade in 51st (Highland) Division.

= From the National Archives, following a free registration, there are three relevant 6th Battalion War Diaries currently available for free download:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055846  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055847  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055848

Unlikely to mention him by name, but they might, also should give general details of the date of his death - a very challenging day for the British Army.

= Now for something rather more poignantly personal, a sad aftermath to his death ... From the WFA/Fold3 pension index cards:

On 20-4-18 his widow, Isabel May, b.14-11-91, made a pension claim and received 13/9 pw from 14.10.18 [No children recorded = rate rather seems quite typically based on his rank as a Private, and not his appointment as a L/Cpl nor acting rank as Sergeant, and thus the lowest standard rate for an under 45 widow] her address was given as 26 Rathdown Rd, Dublin

She also received a £5 Grant, 30-4-18, for funeral/death expenses - for newspaper notices, flowers, mourning clothes etc. [mourning dress not commonly worn much/for long by 1918]

Good luck with your trip.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hi Matlock1418, 

Thank you and to all who have contributed. 
This information is all making sense and I had already seen a photo of Isabel. Just so upsetting to hear that she fell victim to incorrect rank led payments. 

I wonder if Noor is around here still and if in fact is a family member also searching? 

Thank you again

Best wishes