Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper Trip - Armistice Day

ArmyOfficer

Just back from five days in France/Belgium, some random thoughts:

Got up at 0700 on the 11th, got in uniform and went over to the US cemetary at Waregham. For Americans, the 11th November is "Veterans Day" so I spent a moment in the small chapel thinking of all our veterans. Strange but the only wreaths there were from British visitors. Checking the visitor book, seems I was one of the very few Americans to visit. I wandered around completely alone after the Superintendant left. So, thanks to any of those on the forum who might have spent a small trip to visit there. I recommend a visit; for Americans it should b e a must and for every one else, it may be interesting to look around. You'll see a real slice of America from the names on the crosses.

Made it back to Ieper in time for the ceremony at the Menin Gate. I was very impressed by the numbers of young people there. I've read and heard many complaints about the behavior of British school kids at ceremonies or on trips. Still, seeing so many young kids there...at least they were there, and at least know something happened that deserves their silence and respect. My congratulations and much respect for an educational system that sends them over to see the ceremony.

Took a day to go down to visit the grave of a soldier I'm researching. He lies at Thiennes Cemetary, down by Hazebrouck. I'd recommend a drive thru the country from Ieper down to Hazebrouck and these rear areas. You can see all those old farms that are right up against the cemetaries, I would think many of these were aid stations. Kind of poignant.

Took another day to drive around Havrincourt and Flesqueries researching another soldier; really recommend a trip down there to see the approaches to Cambrai. If you go behind Havrincourt Chateau you can also see a number of bunkers that look not to have been touched lately. Didn't get into see the tank ("Deborah") at Flesqueries (my spelling is bad) but its there in a large, old, shell pocked building and the phone number is posted on the door for acccess.

Spent some time on the Somme; too muddy to walk much but did do a few hours walking the Longueval - Guillemont - Ginchy area and Flers. Noticed that someone has dug a great ditch right next to the road that was "Straight Trench" between the Triangle and Quadrilateral...don't know if someone's looking for something.

Stayed at the "Blighty" Bed and Breakfast; it was ok. It's on the web. Also noticed there's a new B & B that's opened in that old restaurant right next to the school museum on the Boterstraat...someplace called "The Poppy". For restaurants, went to Cyper, Vivaldi, Anker, but I can really recommend "D'Ecurie". Its part of "Het Zilveren Hoofd" right on the Rijselstraat around the corner from the "Shell Hole". Excellent food and atmosphere...very very good.

Finally, spent evenings at the Shell Hole with a good crowd. Packed every night but still a great place and one that I truly feel at home at; plus, no one's pinched my hat from above the bar AND John's still got the best deals on medals that I know of.

All in all, a good few days!

Iain: Yeah, nice meeting you too and thanks for the invitation to dinner...much appreciated. I'll be back in January I think; just found out today that I'll not be going anywhere before the Summer so I'll have time for another few trips!