Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/16th london regiment queens Westminster riffles

Lillia

My Grandad Dorsett.W 4734

He was shot and captured on the 1st July 1916 at gommecourt,I have all the information after his capture.

He left for France from Leverstock Green in November 1914.

Between November 1914 and 1st July 1916 I can't trace him exactly as the regiment seem to split into different areas...can anyone give me some advice please.

I am traveling to France next year and would like to retrace his steps if possible.

Thanks in advance

Did you know he was interviewed by the Committee on the treatment by the Enemy of British prisoners of war as that his interview report is in the National Archives at Kew in WO161 series; you can order a copy online for £3.30; 1 QWR joined the 56th Division in early 1916; have you got the regimental history reprinted by Naval & Military Press?

Chris

Hi Lisa,

Looking at his Medal Roll, Silver War Badge, and PoW records, it seems that Walter enlisted on 18th November 1915, and served with 6th platoon, 'B' company of 1/13 London Regiment in France from 5th May* 1916 until 1st July 1916, when he was taken PoW, with a wounded left shoulder. It appears that he must been released prior to armistice day, as the records show that he was discharged due to wounds on 12th October 1918.

The Battalion war diary is available on Ancestry (by membership) or from the National Archives (£3.30 to download). It should allow you to follow his movements in France, though I understand that after first arriving it was usual for men to spend some (further) time in training before being "posted to the field". The diary does contain a fairly detailed report on the events of 1st July.

Regards

Chris

EDIT: * changed from 5th June 1916

So he wasn't in Leverstock Green and didn't travel to France in November 1914,I really have gone down the wrong track..!

Is this all on Ancestry ?

Reds

Lisa

Do you know the ref number for the 1st July war diary download?

I did download what I thought was It today but it only went up until August 1915 !

Would you mind copying and pasting the National roll of the Great War please,for W H Dorsett so I can see details of his enlistment etc,I can't access Ancestry as in the past I have used the free trial and at present haven't the extra to subscribe!

My email is ljparrott62@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Another question please....sorry to bombard you with questions...when he enlisted on the 18th November where did they train and when,how and where would he have crossed for France ?

Accepting that he enlisted in November 1915 and not 1914, the usual basic training period in the UK would have been about 3 to 4 months, depending on fitness and aptitude.

It was then usual to have a period acclimatising to life "in the trenches" at a base camp such as Etaples.

That should see him arriving in France by cross channel steamer, perhaps in a contingent of reinforcements from Folkestone to Calais or another port.

As the British were building up for the Battle of the Somme, as many men as possible would have been sent forward. It would seem that your William did quite well in surviving the crossing of No Mans Land and reached the German trench lines, as that was where most prisoners would have been captured.

Those in No Mans Land were very lucky if they were retrieved, generally by their own side.

There are more expert Pals than I who may be able to give more accurate info.