Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metrics of P.1907 bayonets

JMB1943

JMB, no weight for it, but there is a clearance-hole less and de-hooked Sanderson 12/09 with Australian markings on show at http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?422198-Australian-P07 This has re-furbishing marks for 1945 - when the hook was taken off?

Trajan

Trajan,

I had seen that, but thank you. Have plenty of Sanderson data, but sadly lacking of Chapman bayo weights---they are scarce.

Regards,

JMB

• 2 weeks later...

Trajan,

I had seen that, but thank you. Have plenty of Sanderson data, but sadly lacking of Chapman bayo weights---they are scarce.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB

Had to use kitchen scales ,but here are some bayonet weights,hope they are of some help.

1908 Chapman hook quillion 500g

1911 Chapman hook quillion 475 g

1914 Lithgow hook quillion 475 g

1911 Enfield hook quillion 500g

1910 Sanderson hook quillion 500g

1909 Wilkingson hook quillion 500g

Non Hook

1916 Sanderson 500g

1918 Sanderson 480g with oil hole

1918 Lithgow 500g

1942 Orange 510g

1917 Remington 510g

1920 wilkingson 500g with oil hole

1917 Vickers 485g with oil hole

1916 Mole 500g with oil hole

Regards

Mick

Had to use kitchen scales ,but here are some bayonet weights,hope they are of some help.

1908 Chapman hook quillion 500g ...

Heck Mick, that's a fair old collection that you have there! Nice ones and all! I don't specifically collect these P.1907's but I was rather tempted when a Chapman HQ and a Lithgow HQ appeared for sale over here...

Thanks for posting - and I know that JMB will be made joyful when he sees all those!

Julian

Heck Mick, that's a fair old collection that you have there! Nice ones and all! I don't specifically collect these P.1907's but I was rather tempted when a Chapman HQ and a Lithgow HQ appeared for sale over here...

Thanks for posting - and I know that JMB will be made joyful when he sees all those!

Julian

Thanks Julian,its becoming an addiction, it started when i found out my grandad was in the 16th battalion AIF in flanders,and i started looking for Lithgows,got a couple in the end,but the English hookies are to tempting.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

Thank you for taking the time to report the weights. They all look to be in the range of data that I have collected, but you can see the surprising (to me) difference in weights (25 g is almost 1 oz) across them, with a Wilk '09 (HQ; no CH) and a Wilk '20 (no HQ; with CH) both at 500 g !!! You do have the scarcer makers there (Chapman, Mole, Vickers) which is nice to see.

The reason for Trajan's reference to me being happy to see the wts., is that I'm in the process of finishing a paper on the weight variations of the P.1907 bayos, including the BSA/Siam version, which I hope to submit later this year.

Like you, my interest started with my G'father, who served 4yrs in F&F as a rifleman & bomber in the 2nd Bn.Royal Sussex Regt. I'll have to see if RSR ever came close to 16th Bn. AIF.......

By the by, the "oil" hole is not for oil at all but is a "clearance" hole to allow debris to be cleared out of the mortise in the pommel.

Regards,

JMB

Mick,

Thank you for taking the time to report the weights. They all look to be in the range of data that I have collected, but you can see the surprising (to me) difference in weights (25 g is almost 1 oz) across them, with a Wilk '09 (HQ; no CH) and a Wilk '20 (no HQ; with CH) both at 500 g !!! You do have the scarcer makers there (Chapman, Mole, Vickers) which is nice to see.

The reason for Trajan's reference to me being happy to see the wts., is that I'm in the process of finishing a paper on the weight variations of the P.1907 bayos, including the BSA/Siam version, which I hope to submit later this year.

Like you, my interest started with my G'father, who served 4yrs in F&F as a rifleman & bomber in the 2nd Bn.Royal Sussex Regt. I'll have to see if RSR ever came close to 16th Bn. AIF.......

By the by, the "oil" hole is not for oil at all but is a "clearance" hole to allow debris to be cleared out of the mortise in the pommel.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks for the info on oil hole.

Mick

• 8 years later...

@JMB1943 I will enter my dataset when I get the chance probably next weekend. I have to take one of my cabinets apart so can do maybe 60 full length bayonets. 

you just want the weights of the bayonets, the date and manufacture + oil clearance hole/no hole? 

kind regards

g