Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible First Name for following Soldier

Hello all.

Looking into deaths on 11th March 1917 and came across a Private S Kendall (Serial Number 9997) from 143MGC. Wondered if anyone had a possible name.

Sylvester was previously Private 23561 West Yorkshire Regiment.

Medal Index Card is held under reference WO 372/11/129359

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3217521

Soldiers Died in the Great War also has him as Sylvester.

His birthplace is actually Dallowgill.

On the 1901 census the 5 year old Sylvester W, born Dallowgill, Yorkshire, was recorded at Tom Corner, Dallowgill. This was the household of his grandparents, John and Margaret Wright. John is a Farmer and Publican, working “at home”. The only other occupant is their 13 year old daughter, Elizabeth Wright.

This site advises that John was the landlord of The Shooters Inn at Dallowgill.

http://www.grewelthorpe.org.uk/History/brewers-of-masham

The 15 year old Sylvester, a Farm Labourer, was recorded on the 1911 Census living in the household of his employer as a Servant. This was at Carlsmoor, Kirky Malyzeard, Ripon, Yorkshire. His employer is Leonard Umpleby, a Farmer who is the head of the household at this address.

BTW his age on the 1901 and 1911 census would make an 1899 birthdate impossible. In fact the birth of Sylvester was recorded in the Ripon District of Yorkshire in the July to September quarter of 1895.

There is no middle name recorded in the General Registrars Office Index of Births, so I don’t know what the W on the 1901 census stands for. I couldn’t see any baptism from the usual on-line sources – doesn’t mean there wasn’t one, its just not been transcribed and put on line as yet :-)

I see from the CWGC site that he was exhumed and re-buried in his current resting place. The Concentration report has him down as Private 9997 “C H Kendell” who was serving with the 1st/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment according to the cross on his original grave. All the other re-burials on the same report are from the same regiment.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/335737/KENDALL,%20S

However there does not appear to be either a CWGC database entry or Medal Index Card that matches those details.

I have been searching for him all week and could find very little so I am very grateful for your fantastic research.

I have been reading the War Diaries of the 1/6th Royal Warwickshires and had a copy of the Brigade Diary as well as the days for the 143rd Machine Gun Company (which records no casulties).

It may be wrong of me to say but I think Private Kendall was wounded that day and later died and was possibly hit by the same shell that killed Henry Nichols and Arthur Cresswell.

I have been searching for him all week and could find very little so I am very grateful for your fantastic research.

I have been reading the War Diaries of the 1/6th Royal Warwickshires and had a copy of the Brigade Diary as well as the days for the 143rd Machine Gun Company (which records no casulties).

It may be wrong of me to say but I think Private Kendall was wounded that day and later died and was possibly hit by the same shell that killed Henry Nichols and Arthur Cresswell.

One thing you have to be careful of is that most war diaries had a cut-off time after which casualty information would be noted in the next day's entry. So, a man could be wounded at 1100 on the 11th and be shown in the diary for the 11th whereas if he was wounded at 1400 he may appear in the next day's diary. Are there any casualties noted for the 12th ?.

Craig

Let me double check but I don't believe there were any casualties recorded for the 12th let me have a look. I know both Henry and Arthur were recorded as having been killed on the 10th before it was decided on the 12th March. I will have a look into this. Seems odd that he was recorded being with the 1/6th Warwickshires.