Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did my father die twice ?

Guest Tony Duggan

Guest Tony Duggan

This is further to my earlier posting today in Introductions.

My father was Francis Joseph Duggan who fought in the Royal Artillery. I have found a medal index card for Gunner Francis J. Duggan of the Royal Garrison Artillery, service number 33017 which would seem to be conclusive. The problem is that the CWGC "Debt of Honour" register lists the following among those killed in action:

DUGGAN, FRANCIS JOSEPH

Initials: F J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 122nd Heavy Bty.

Date of Death: 08/05/1915

Service No: 33017

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9 Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Interestingly age is unknown.

As you see from the service number, this is the same person as on the medal index card. It seems to me unlikely that there were two "Francis Joseph Duggans" in the RGA and there is no other "Francis Joseph Duggan" in the MICs. So how can it be that my father, who actually died in 1963, could have apparantly been killed in action in 1915? The CWGC entry indicates an entry for him on the Menin Gate, so clearly no grave exists. Were mistakes like this made very often ? A man who, in fact, survived being posted dead even at the end of the war when the memorials were built ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tony Duggan

Hi Tony

According to the Soldiers Died in the Great War CD 33017 Gunner Francis Joseph Duggan Royal Garrison Artillery was born in Cork and he also enlisted in Cork. This may help eliminate this man if your father did not come from Cork. There were 2 F J Duggans in the RFA, both Officers.

Steve

• 2 years later...

Tony I see it is some time since this was posted so I am not sure whether you are still interested. This Duggan was definitely killed in 1915 - my grandfather was killed at the same time and he was Duggan's Sgt - they are listed dead together in the War Diary - probably actually buried in Ypres Town Cemetery

Alan

1901 census shows 11 matches francis duggan

Age 1 Born Yorks Middlesboro

Age 2 Born Northd Cranlington

Age 3 Cheshire Newton

Age 3 Nailsworth Glos

Age 12 Middx Acto

No francis J Duggan

Search here

http://www.1901censusonline.com/results.as...i=person_search

• 1 year later...

HI, I RESEARCH AND COLLECT MEDALS TO MY SURNAME DUGGAN, AND A DUGGAN DATABASE....AND I HAVE SOME DETAILS ON HIM WHICH ARE ALREADY LAID OUT BELOW REALLY, BUT AM INTERESTED AS TO YOUR INTEREST ETC, FOR MY DATABASE, AND CAN I HAVE A PHOTO OF HIM IF YOU HAVE ONE....??

PHIL DUGGAN

HI, I RESEARCH AND COLLECT MEDALS TO MY SURNAME DUGGAN, AND A DUGGAN DATABASE....AND I HAVE SOME DETAILS ON HIM WHICH ARE ALREADY LAID OUT BELOW REALLY, BUT AM INTERESTED AS TO YOUR INTEREST ETC, FOR MY DATABASE, AND CAN I HAVE A PHOTO OF HIM IF YOU HAVE ONE....??

PHIL DUGGAN