Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery photo. Hospital ? Observations please.

asanewt

Interested in any relevant information on the content of this photo please.

Belongs to a person with no access to the forum and no info. at all regarding photo. Looks post WW1 to me.

Thanks for looking.

post-40034-0-21044200-1439115095_thumb.j

Interested in any relevant information on the content of this photo please.

Belongs to a person with no access to the forum and no info. at all regarding photo. Looks post WW1 to me.

Thanks for looking.

The men with white topped caps appear to be Corps of Commissionaires so the hospital might be near their HQ and perhaps WW2 rather than WW1.

The women not in nurse uniform are County representatives/Commandants of the British Red Cross Society and I would hazard a guess that the men are also part of a BRCS Detachment. The length of the skirts suggests 1930s onwards.

Sue

I'd go with 1930's

Schoolboy Sunday best on the left background, toothbrush moustaches and if I knew more about ladies' hairstyles I reckon I could nail it. The younger ones all have the same "do".

Would the owner's current location have any bearing on the location in the photo? Is there a photographers name on it anywhere?

Dave

The women not in nurse uniform are County representatives/Commandants of the British Red Cross Society and I would hazard a guess that the men are also part of a BRCS Detachment. The length of the skirts suggests 1930s onwards.

Sue

Yes I think you are right Sue, on a larger screen I can now see that the men are wearing Sam Brownes and not the Corps of Commissionaire cross belt. I did wonder what on earth CofC men could be doing in what is clearly a hospital group!

Yes - some of them are wearing a whole range of medals/awards which do include some Red Cross medals. And assuming it was taken between the wars, no reason to believe that it's a hospital photo, but maybe more likely a Detachment group photo taken at a training day or similar.

Yes - some of them are wearing a whole range of medals/awards which do include some Red Cross medals. And assuming it was taken between the wars, no reason to believe that it's a hospital photo, but maybe more likely a Detachment group photo taken at a training day or similar.

Yes I should have said medically oriented photo.

could the

gentlemen with white hat covers be Frontiersmen???

on second thought, could be St. Johns Ambulance Group??