Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE Tool Check Tag.

GWF1967

Royal Engineers " Tool Check".

The tool check tag is 3 x 1 1/2 inches.

Does anyone know what they would have been attached to or issued for?

Any help welcome please.

post-119457-0-10600300-1439061787_thumb.

Not seen one of those before.

The V after G is smaller Was it normal for both to be same size? Does it say G&H at the top?

Hi Johnboy.

It does indeed say G&H near the top.

I saw one a few weeks back, dated 1917 where mine says '17, otherwise similar in layout and size. Not sure it was same maker.

The G&H could be the maker or an abbreviation of the tools?

Here's the other I saw No 15. 1912.

No makers mark visible.

Gv the same.

post-119457-0-50146000-1439069003_thumb.

I saw that one somewhere but was not sure if it was similar. No description ie 'Tool Check' and no crown.

I am wondering if the hole was to measure something. a bolt maybe or a spindle of some kind? The one above seems to have a stone pattern? it has date as 1912 and another number 15. Yours has 17 which is why I wonder if this number refers to an item and not the year date.?

Gv = King George 5th? (correct for 1912 & 1917)

BillyH.

None of the kings ciphers have Gv that I have seen. On post boxes for example it is GR. On ornate ciphers it appears as GR with the V somewhere in the middle. all under a tudor crown.

Do you have any examples of Gv Billy

I'm probably completely wrong but I not getting the right feeling about those items.

None of the kings ciphers have Gv that I have seen. On post boxes for example it is GR. On ornate ciphers it appears as GR with the V somewhere in the middle. all under a tudor crown.

Do you have any examples of Gv Billy

It was only intended as a stab in the dark. But it seems quite likely to me, they are very cheaply die stamped items but in both cases the "v" is under + overlined - indicating that it is representing a "5" and not just a v.

BillyH.

post-41657-0-93510400-1439110931_thumb.j

That's the same sort of Cipher I was referring to.

If it was army issue, by 1917 should it not have been stamped WD?

If you do a google Image search "WW1 metal tool check" the third image is a similar item with GV and the crown above it, just as an example of how GV might have been used. Unfortunately as it's an old ebay item if you click on the image the link is dead.

I also spotted something similar on ebay.ie but annoyingly I can't find it now. That piece had a badge on it though, and I have to say didn't seem quite right to me.

The 17, as johnboy pointed out previously, may be an item rather than a date.

It seems to have puzzled a few before me, it's the third time it's sold online.

If you do a google Image search "WW1 metal tool check" the third image is a similar item with GV and the crown above it, just as an example of how GV might have been used. Unfortunately as it's an old ebay item if you click on the image the link is dead.

I also spotted something similar on ebay.ie but annoyingly I can't find it now. That piece had a badge on it though, and I have to say didn't seem quite right to me.

Thanks for that Allison.

I thought I'd seen an RA tag as well!

I'm really annoyed I can't find the one I saw on ebay, it struck me as odd because I'm pretty sure it had an AGC badge on it.

Could it be for same use as this?

WW1 Munitions Factory Tool Check Kings Norton Metal Co WW1_Munitions_Fa_54c68e4977e79_100x100.j
View Full-Size Image

Price per Unit (piece): £12.50

Ask a question about this product

Availability

In Stock: 1

An early brass tool check from the Kings Norton Metal Co, Birmingham, this was a munitions factory during WW1. The check is in good order and 100% original. These were used by men/Women working in the factory and given over when tools were borrowed from stores etc.

I am wondering if the hole was to measure something. a bolt maybe or a spindle of some kind? The one above seems to have a stone pattern? it has date as 1912 and another number 15. Yours has 17 which is why I wonder if this number refers to an item and not the year date.?

Took checks operate as a kind of library ticket for issuing them. The user would have a number of tags identically numbered and specific to them.

When drawing a tool from stores, they'd hand over a tag which would then be held against the inventory number/ hung on a peg board etc etc against its return.

I don't see anything wrong with them, and would be far from unusual in larger workshops or factories.

Cheers,

GT.

Ok my problem with the top tool check thingy is that it looks shed made, supposed to be George V but with a queens crown, different font and a completely amateurish feel.

Ok my problem with the top tool check thingy is that it looks shed made, supposed to be George V but with a queens crown, different font and a completely amateurish feel.

You might be right.

If these things were used as tokens why the need to put Gv? Firstly I think that WD would have been more appropriate and secondly was there any need at all to show 'ownership.'?

Especially as that ownership appears to be the outline of a RE shoulder title.