Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William Henry Leonard 552446 2/16th Londons

JOSTURM

Hi, can any Pals who have the Westminsters regimental history advise me what if anything it says about William Henry Leonard.

I would like to try to understand if he died on 6 December (before the Jerusalem attack on the 8th), because of wounds received earlier, from sickness, or from being shot by a sniper/bombed etc. Soliders Died terminology is 'Died' rather than 'KA'.

Thanks

WHL was a Bournemouth man and 37 years old.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

'Died' usually means that his death was in no way attributable to any action by the enemy. The usual cause of death for those described that way is from disease, but accidental injury which later led to a solders demise is probably the second most common reason for a man to be listed under that category.

Obituaries in the local press frequently give much more detail, if you are able to ferret them out.

wouldnt say usually, - died is also used when cause of death wasnt known - ie a man missing in action and no one knew where he was for certain

Hi Peter,

'Died' usually means that his death was in no way attributable to any action by the enemy. The usual cause of death for those described that way is from disease, but accidental injury which later led to a solders demise is probably the second most common reason for a man to be listed under that category.

Obituaries in the local press frequently give much more detail, if you are able to ferret them out.

29th October 1914 saw a great number of Coldstreamers who "died" - it was a disastrous day fighting one btn reduced to a few dozen men - Im certain they died fighting

wouldnt say usually, - died is also used when cause of death wasnt known - ie a man missing in action and no one knew where he was for certain

You are right in what you say but, in this instance it seems highly likely to me that the man died in a military hospital to end up buried at Kantara. Circumstantial I know, but that is what makes me think his death was not directly due to the action of the enemy. As I said, an obituary for him would almost certainly provide the answer.

Probably due ti illness

Soldiers' Effects says that he died at "24th Sta Hos Kantara Egypt". The entry is silent on the subject of KiA, DoW, etc

Regards

Chris

EDIT: It might be worth looking on FMP, though I'm not sure what level of detail is contained in the record sets.

Thanks all.

Peter

Hey Peter,

If you mean the history by Henriques, I'm afraid that only covers the 1st battalion; I've never seen a history for the 2/16th. I notice that the IWM has some private papers that might be of use to you, though I have not read them myself.

Private papers of H J Youngman

Private papers of W E J Francis

Private papers of C B Causton

Private papers of A J Pedler

Private papers of D H Calcutt

Regards,

Chris