Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"millers daughter" lesboefs ?

bantamforgot

Trench Map 57cSW4(Combles) T4c.

John

Many thanks John, however I am aware of the map reference, but what is "Millers daughter", an establishment or what? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

She was only a miller's daughter but after she finished work she let me de-flour her (made this up myself - quite pleased with it).

I see, from a previous post by Ken Lees, that "Miller's Son" was a dugout near Monsoon Trench containing 200 bunks. Perhaps Miller's Daughter was something similar?

Excuse me butting in chaps but this area is of interest to me. I have a 'drawing', dated 4th October 1916, indicating "Millers Daughter" not at the junction of Fluff and Odour but at the point where the road from Ginchy into Lesbeoufs from John Bull Trench emerges from the sunken section close to Fluff Trench . There is a short length of trench marked "Millers Daughter" with a figure ' 5' over this trench.

I have the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders War Diary for October 1916 when they were in this location. No mention is made of the "Millers Daughter" . On October 9th, the Brigade Support is stated to be 1/2 mile West of Lesbeoufs on the Ginchy Road.

On the 13th October, the Battalion moved into Burnaby, Thistle, Foggy and Shamrock trenches.

Baird

Excuse me butting in chaps but this area is of interest to me. I have a 'drawing', dated 4th October 1916, indicating "Millers Daughter" not at the junction of Fluff and Odour but at the point where the road from Ginchy into Lesbeoufs from John Bull Trench emerges from the sunken section close to Fluff Trench . There is a short length of trench marked "Millers Daughter" with a figure ' 5' over this trench.

I have the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders War Diary for October 1916 when they were in this location. No mention is made of the "Millers Daughter" . On October 9th, the Brigade Support is stated to be 1/2 mile West of Lesbeoufs on the Ginchy Road.

On the 13th October, the Battalion moved into Burnaby, Thistle, Foggy and Shamrock trenches.

Baird

Baird,

It could be that the trench was newly dug, given a name (by the digging Battalion), but the name was not commonly or immediately circulated, and didn't make it's way onto a map for some time thereafter.

Tom.

Not arguing about the trench placement, I was interested in the name , trench , establishment, etc ?

Attached.

post-25203-0-50192100-1439142779_thumb.j