The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A part-parkerised / blued S.98/05

trajan

This came my way, as yet one more addition to my ever expanding WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER 98/05 W/17 collection - well, not much else pops up over here in the way of imperial bayonets! But I found it interesting partly because it has what seem to be replacement grips (Turkish?) and more specifically it looks to have been partly parkerised (or blued - I never remember the difference!), that is to say, the last 3 cm of the blade and ricasso has a grey-gritty appearance to it as here:

post-69449-0-50011300-1438948397_thumb.j post-69449-0-55555900-1438948413_thumb.j

post-69449-0-88588600-1438948425_thumb.j

You can see the extent of this treatment in the top two photographs, and the bottom one shows the 'gritty' nature - the sun is a bit too bright to show the contrast more clearly but it is a distinct grey and not polished steel. I know that the Weimar issued 98/05's were entirely blued, but this is not the case here - and although the crossguard is corroded there never was a 1920 stamp on this piece, and nor were the original screws fitted with screwbolts, so its not, IMO, a Weimar piece. But, there again, I have never seen even a hint of blueing / parkerisation on any of the Turkish-used bayonets that I have seen, whether pre- and/or GW period Ottoman ones or the ones they got from Germany in 1917.

Anyone have any (printable!) thoughts?

TIA,

Trajan

It has probably been cleaned up by some sort of airbrasive process - not with a very coarse media but something like aluminium oxide or glass bead.

Mike

It has probably been cleaned up by some sort of airbrasive process - not with a very coarse media but something like aluminium oxide or glass bead.

Mike

I think I know what you mean (the gritty rough look), but don't think so because of the mark's regularity, covering the ricasso and lower blade area just like the 'blueing' on a P.1907, and the mark exists on the blade spine as well. But happy to be corrected!