The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walter Kingdom - 1st Loyal North Lancs

syd

How did a Devon boy end up in the 1st Battalion of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment? Walter Kingdom, who was born in Tiverton, was serving with the regiment when he died on September 20, 1918, aged 20. Walter's brother, William Henry, was with the 1/4 Devonshires and many of his cousins served in the county regiment. Research indicates that the Loyal North generally recruited from Northern areas. Could it be that the regiment was so depleted during the war it had to recruit from further afield? Walter was killed in the aftermath of the Battle of Epehy. His medal card indicates that he served in the Border Regiment before joining the Loyal North. Is there anything to learn from this? I have obtained war records for the Loyal North for 1918, so have a good idea of his movements in that year. I don't know when he first signed up as this information is not given on his medal card. I would be very grateful for any information offered.

Ancestry or soldiers died will tell you where enlisted

Walter Kingdom (28711)

Enlisted: Tiverton, Devon.

Medal Rolls: 8th Border Regiment (34535), 7th N Lancs, 1st N Lancs.

From the medal rolls he's from a block of men originally in the 7th & 8th Border Regiment who went to to 7th then 1st North Lancs.

Mick.

Thank you Mick and Coldstreamer...Walter's route to the 1st North Lancs is very helpful. Walter's family were gardeners and farmers and it has been suggested to me that Walter may well have become a pal of a group of northern lads who worked on farms in Devon, particularly during the busy summer periods. This may explain his decision to join northern regiments when he enlisted in Tiverton. Syd

He may have had no option which Regiment he joined, other than early volunteers, many men were sent where required especially after the introduction of conscription in 1916.

Sam