Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need a photo of Capt. N. B. (later B. O.) Burge, 106 Pnrs and F&

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF-enthusiasts,

To give the subject in hand some background, I attach my on-going manuscript.

I need a picture (aka Image) of Captain Burge, perhaps in a 106th Hazara Pioneers officer group, or with the Political (for example, in Kashgar).

He was commissioned from Quetta Cadet College in 1918, and attached to 106th Hazara Pioneers. Despite suffering from Neuralgia, he was described as an average, but cheerful, young officer. He took part in three campaigns (medals and clasps), before transferring to the Foreign and Political Department in 1927. (His Indian Political file does not go further than 1928.)

Inexplicably, in 1932 or 1933, he changed his first names from Norman Benjamin, to Benjamin Ormsby Burge.

He was en poste in various places (for example, Kashgar) with the Political. However, half-way through a long leave in 1935, at the posh end of the Margate seaside resort, he took veronal and died, aged only thirty-five.

Perhaps one or more GWF members can help me? Either with a photo, or with additional information.

I would be highly grateful, believe me!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dok1.doc

I see, from the 1881 census, that his father Henry Ormsby Burge, was the brother of Lt Col Norman Ormsby Burge -

Their father was Captain Benjamin Henry Burge.

Also, it looks like brothers Geoffrey Derek (b.1906), and Charles Ralph (b. 1898) had also adopted Ormsby at some point.

Dear IPT,

Super! Well done, indeed, and many thanks!

I will weave this newly-found information into my ever-growing manuscript straight away.

Where did you obtain the information about Charles and Geoffrey Burge, one wonders?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

• 2 weeks later...

Dear GWFs,

I have brought up to date the aforegoing manuscript dealing with the brief life of Captain Burge, Political. I have used newly-found material, and attach it for your interest.

His untimely end was poignant in the extreme.

Obviously, it will be easier said that done, to find a photograph of the young N. B. (later B. O.) Burge.

However, an image of his rather more famous and heroic uncle, Lt-Col N. O. (NOB) Burge, RMLI, exists, and which I have ordered.

As usual, any form of comment would be welcomed by this Aussie, from all those knowlegeable Burge experts out there.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John lindsay

Dok1.doc

Kim

You probably alreay have but just in case. Watson gives the 106th War Service as follows :

1. At Quetta with 2 coys at Baluchistan on the declaration.

2. In May the 2x Baluchistan Coy's returned to Quetta

3. In April 1917 the Bn transferred to Peshawar and the Peshawar Bde

4. Moving to Mesopotamia as a Pioneer Bn in November 1917 maintaining a Depot at Quetta

5. At the end of the war they were at Shahraban with II Indian Corps.

Regards

Dave

Dear Dave,

Thanks for that.

No, I did not have that, and who was Watson?

I will gladly weave that additional 106 Pioneers information into my ever-growing Burge manuscript.

In the meantime I am, by the way, waiting to find out if Norman Benjamin Burge attended Rossall School (as his latterly heroic uncle did).

Furthermore, I have ordered am Image of Lt-Col Norman Ormsby (Nob) Burge, RMLI, when attd RND.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

Paul Watson wrote "The Indian Army in the Great War 1914~1918".

Good luck with your hunt for a picture of Norman Burge.

Regards

Dave

Kim: The only "Burge" in The Rossall School Register 1933 is Norman Ormsby Burge. Dick Flory

Dear Dave,

Thanks for informing me of the Paul Watson book.

Dear Dick,

I owe you a favour! Thanks for saving me a visit to the Researcher Clinic.

Rossall School can be ruled out for Norman Benjamin Burge, then.

Kindest regards to you both,

Kim.