Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Victory Medal

hmsk212

In amongst a lot of medals I bought at an auction there was a Victory Medal which I just thought was missing it's suspension ring. Having got the box of goodies home I noticed that this Victory Medal was not named and that not only was the ring missing but the suspension point was of an unusual design. Where the barrel to house the ring is there is just a solid piece of metal with no way for a ring to be connected. The suspension point does seem to be part of the medal and not a later addition. Could this have been a factory reject or am I barking up the wrong tree or just plain barking?

Steve

Hi

Yes, the measurements and weight do appear to tally. Ask a silly question but why would anyone want to make a cast copy?

Steve

The detail appears too crisp to be a Cast Copy {& again Why?}Even though it is obviously of some age & has considerable wear more likely is that it is an unfinished Contemporary Blank, that the Suspension barrel has not been finished by Shaping & Drilling,& kept as a Touch piece given its amount of Wear;,How it ended up in Circulation is Anybodies Guess,But Certainly an Unusual find

HB:- It was the depth of the relief that made me think it might be cast. The detail seems no crisper than on plaques and possibly not as crisp as a stamping. But I wouldn`t bet the house on it! It reminds me of efforts I`ve seen to cast pound coins. Phil B

PS Does it sound like a kosher VM when you clink it? I`d expect a cast piece to be softer and duller sounding.

Yes it sounds right, although I didn't clink it too hard ;) . To me it appears to be right but has not gone through the "lacquer" stage, hence the slightly darker more bronze look. It is crisp enough for the WMcM initials to show up and all of the dots are correct after 1914-1919. I can do a better scan if you think that may help.

Steve

Obverse (larger image) The initials WMcM show up well on the real thing but not well at all on my scan <_< The medal has obviously had quite a lot of wear over the years.

Reverse (larger image) Sorry for the bad scan, it's a job to get clear definition without going too bright. Need a new scanner !

Here`s a normal VM for comparison. If it sounds right, then I`m now leaning to the view that it is simply the worse for wear. Phil B

post-23-1100603416.jpg

I would have thought that a VM would have been manufactured by minting the disc and then brazing the suspension barrel on to the disc. If this is the case, I would not have expected the spare metal around the barrel, as I can't see why the barrel wouldn't have been finished by the time i was atttached. But I agree the rest of the medal looks "right"

I would have thought that a VM would have been manufactured by minting the disc and then brazing the suspension barrel on to the disc. If this is the case, I would not have expected the spare metal around the barrel, as I can't see why the barrel wouldn't have been finished by the time i was atttached. But I agree the rest of the medal looks "right"

If you study the suspension on UK Victories{& Most others for that matter},they are Struck as I unit the Barrel,being stamped out with the Disc,then drilled for the Ring,& Machined to tidy them up{Variations around the Barrel will be noted were trimming is carried out}

I am really slow, I have only just noticed that a WW2 War Medal bought in the same lot as the Victory Medal isn't minus its suspender, its never had one. There is no drill hole near the top of this medal, although like the WW1 Victory Medal it looks a well worn medal. Perhaps this too escaped from the factory before it was finished.

Steve