Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anybody from Gedling, Notts, Tawton, Ches.

larneman

I am wondering if this soldier is remember is on any of the memorials in Gedling, Notts, Tawton, Ches. or Lawton, Stoke-on-Trent. I am researching everybody that was born in, lived in, enlisted in or died in Larne during the Great War 1914-1921. He is not remembered on the Larne Memorial.

HIGHFIELD

Thomas

T

Tawton, Ches.

Larne, Co. Antrim

Gedling. , Notts

11/08/15

Killed in action

Gallipoli

CPL.

Commonwealth War Dead

Panel 177 and 178

HELLES MEMORIAL        

Son of the late John and Sarah Ann Highfield, of Lawton, Stoke-on-Trent. House steward for the late Lord Antrim, Glenarm Castle, Co. Antrim.

Liam

Edited by larneman

Thanks to a Pal called Eunice I have corrected the information as it seems Tedling does not exist but it should be Gedling.

I was also informed he is remember in a local church War Memorial at, All Hallows Church, Arnold Lane, Gedling, Notts.

Thanks

Liam

Thomas Highfield, has a local memorial, at Audley ? also at Alsagers Bank. I have a book from the library published by Audley and District Family History Society, had a look for you and he's in it. Just to check details: date and place of death I have 9.8.15, Gallipoli, but sdgw 11.8.15, C comp. 6th bn RIR No. 11540 his gravestone is at Alsagers bank. Request it from your library as there is a bit more info. " Never to Return a record of those Commemorated on the war memorials of Audley, Talke, Scot Hay and Butt lane" ( Staffordshire)Authors Ian Bailey, Howard Edwards, Paddy Stanley, Ron Allen and Joy Bratherton. ISBN 0952949466,

hope this helps Nel

• 2 weeks later...
HIGHFIELD

Thomas

T

Tawton, Ches.

Larne, Co. Antrim

Gedling. , Notts

11/08/15

Killed in action

Gallipoli

CPL.

Commonwealth War Dead

Panel 177 and 178

HELLES MEMORIAL        

Hello again Liam, one of the NIH dead also has his name on the Helles Memorial - perhaps you would care to view a photograph of it. See:

http://www.nih.ww2site.com/nih/inmemorium/m7.jpg

Cheers, Gerry

Thanks for the Link, Gerry.

How was Thomas Highfield connected with the NIH. I have him serving and dying in the Royal Irish Rifles, "C" Coy. 6th Battalion. Also that he worked in Glenarm for lord Antrim.

Any extra information is welcome.

Liam

Thanks for the Link, Gerry.

How was Thomas Highfield connected with the NIH. I have him serving and dying in the Royal Irish Rifles, "C" Coy. 6th Battalion. Also that he worked in Glenarm for lord Antrim.

Any extra information is welcome.

Liam

Liam,

Perhaps I didn't phrase my posting clearly. It was due to George Gibson's name also being on Helles Memorial, that I thought you may wish to se a photograph of it.

Incidentally, I do not have a listing of names on the Larne Memorial as I thought I may have.

Regards, Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Visit my site and you will find all the names on the Larne Memorial. See Memorials to the Fallen link. It is a temp site and I am slowly adding more names every week. It a case of doing research or entering data, cannot do both, more the pity.

http://larne-in-ww1.irishgenealogy.net

Again thanks for the link and the explaination.

Liam

PS. on the site you will find my e-mail address at the bottom of each page. If you want to contact me directly, that is.