Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Henry Boardman, DSO

Mark Hone

5 hours ago, Mark Hone said:

Colonel Boardman is one of four former pupils of Bury Grammar School featured in an exhibition at the Fusilier Museum in Bury which can be seen until the autumn.

I was looking at his name on the Newchurch war memorial in Culcheth on Monday of this week. Are you in touch with the family (family by marriage at least) who still live in the Culcheth/Kenyon area. I always visit the grave when I go to pay Liverpool Scottish respects to Captain Chavasse about five metres away (if that).

Edited by Ian Riley

No, Ian, I must admit that I haven't attempted to do so. Thanks for mentioning it. As it happens, a long-time colleague and friend of mine lives in Culcheth. 

As described in the battalion War Diary and elsewhere, it is clear that Colonel Boardman actually died in a Dressing Station at Potijze Chateau but his body was then moved back to Brandhoek for burial. 

Edited by Mark Hone

I taught the chap's wife not so far far away but definitely long long ago. They run a large farm shop, farm food business and farm quite locally. I will Message

Ian