Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMLS Canada - mark I female tank no 521 - Rollencourt - 1917

delta

Whilst visiting the Tank Museum on Friday I found a picture of a Mark I tank which, thanks to the help of Dick Taylor and Gareth Davies, I was able to identify as 521 and a female , which had the name Canada. This is a new name to me and also an interesting number.

Trevor Pidgeon's list of those Mark I which fought at Flers Courcelette does not include 521 although he does list her in mid October being commanded by 2Lt Mills. The picture at Rollencourt shows the tank number quite clearly although she was without sponsons According to Rob Martin's website, she was used by F Battalion in early July 1917 probably as a training tank.

Has anyone else heard of this tank, and if so, can you shed any light on where she was in September 1916.

My database says:

Moved from Loop to Acheux 23.10.16; Moved to Beausart 28.10.16 2/Lt MILLS; "HMLS Canada" C Bn Signal tank Rollencourt June 1917 no sponsons fitted, 22.7.17;

Gwyn

Yes - that's the picture (or one very similar); I had not realised how poorly the name had been painted on the glacis plate!

please see below listed link, I have copy of photo, it was associated to a Lt. R.P. Forester M.C., the photo accompanied several items from a collection I obtained including his web belt,holster, compass pouch , ribbon bar and revolver .455 new service colt and a signed copy of a photo of him with the U.S President as he was Canadian Military Liaison officer to U.S during second War

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88086&page=3&hl=%2Bhmls+%2Bcanada#entry1816604

regards

Bob R.

in comparing photo's the HMLS on your photo is quite different than on mine??? looks like it has been retouched???

in comparing photo's the HMLS on your photo is quite different than on mine??? looks like it has been retouched???

The one you posted in the previous post looks to me like someone has touched up the writing, possibly because it didn't show up very well on a lower-res copy.

On the (probably the original) photograph from the Canadian Archives, it looks like it has been written on in chalk or paint. On the above version, it also appears that the side of the tank is also covered in scribble, which isn't apparent on the other photo.

Only the "521" on the front looks official, although beginning with a C would fit with Delta's old list - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69754

I have had this debate about a touched up version of this photo on the Forum before. I recall being very dismissive as I'd only seen the touched up version. I'm much happier now I've seen the original.

Gwyn

I have had this debate about a touched up version of this photo on the Forum before. I recall being very dismissive as I'd only seen the touched up version. I'm much happier now I've seen the original.

Gwyn

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88086&page=3&hl=%2Bhmls+%2Bcanada#entry1816604

I wasn't too dismissive then. :thumbsup:

no not really, which raises the question, which photo was retouched???

I think the one on the old post has been photoshopped, with the chalked, rough, thick name "HMLS Canada" on the glacis blanked out and then written in again. No idea why.

Gwyn

you are probably correct, the photo I have is mounted in frame with backing etc. so would hate to remove same to look at back of photo (may be a post card???), maybe some day when curiosity gets the better of me

regards

Bob R.

Stephen there was a tank "Canada" in action on 31st July 1917 in which my chap Myleham won his DCM the citation for which refers specifically to his tank "Canada". Landships website has that tank down as "C1 Canada" and number "2085?". Is this a later Canada, timings seem close, both references in July 1917.

Edited by Geoffrey Churcher

Yes, it's a later 'Canada'. The serial 2085 reveals it to be a Mark IV Male.

I'd be interested to know what the citation has to say about it though.

Gwyn

Distinguished Conduct Medal - London Gazette 25/01/1918 ("C" Battalion, 3rd Battle of Ypres 1917).

"Served in Tank "Canada" for conspicious gallantry and devotion to duty. During the Battle of Ypres, on July 31st 1917, this NCO drove his tank for thirteen hours, and twice unditched it under heavy fire. When the tank was eventually put out of action he went to the assistance of the infantry with a lewis gun and helped them to repel a counted attack. He remained with the infantry until wounded."

Interesting - the TCBH does not mention the tank.s name

Which version have you got ?

Here is a letter from the OIC 2Lt WF Breen referring to the second Canada.

post-56052-0-15158500-1438548308_thumb.j

post-56052-0-58769600-1438548320_thumb.j

All we need is a similar letter from Arnold in relation to C14 at Flers....

Edited by Geoffrey Churcher

was the crew all British or were there some Canadians in the mix ??

thanks

Bob R.

There was one Canadian who fought in C Company s strength in 1916 but he was serving in the British Army not the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Whether there were any who later fought in HMLS Canada, I cannot say

thanks, I refer to http://1914-1918.inv...da#entry1816604 post 72 where it was stated that the Canadian Tank Corps did not see action, just wondering to what extent the Canadian Tank Corps participated

regards

Bob R.

There was one Canadian who fought in C Company s strength in 1916 but he was serving in the British Army not the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Whether there were any who later fought in HMLS Canada, I cannot say

That's right the Canadian Tank Corps did not see any action. They made it to UK, and so earned the BWM as they were overseas from Canada, but not the Victory Medal as they were not in a war zone. The war ended before they could be deployed.

That's right the Canadian Tank Corps did not see any action. They made it to UK, and so earned the BWM as they were overseas from Canada, but not the Victory Medal as they were not in a war zone. The war ended before they could be deployed.

thanks for that