Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn Rifle Brigade July 1915 War Diary

Bardess

July seems to be missing from the Ancestry site. Would anyone have it please? Looking for reference to Frank BROWN B/1661. TIA

They are missing on the nmarchive site also.

Mark

Morning,

Thats odd, I have it on an NA download.

He was reported missing from "D" Company on 30 July 1915.

The War Diary (in part) records,

“30 July 1915 - Vlamertinghe

4.45am. Received orders to be prepared to return to Ypres in support.

5.30am. Orders received to return to Ypres with as much S.A.A. as possible.

7am. Having filled water bottles and issued rations and extra S.A.A. the battalion started and halted on the road between Asylum and Kuistraat till 11.30am. Heard that Hooge had been captured by the enemy. Orders to march via Zillebeek to Zouave Wood and to form up in support of 8th Battalion, Rifle Brigade to counter attack.

2pm. Bombardment by our artillery commenced for ¾ hour. During this time the battalion formed up in the wood in rear of 8th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. All this time the Germans poured a terrific fire of heavy high explosive into the north portion of the wood, making our preparations very difficult and causing many casualties.

2.45pm. Bombardment ceased and assault commenced. By request of O.C. 8th Battalion our leading line started in support at once. Their exit from the wood was impeded by our barbed wire and owing to machine gun fire of the enemy very few got beyond the edge of the wood. The flow of lines continued but none got beyond the wire.

I was told to consolidate my position. I held the north edge of wood, where there existed a fire trench in a poor condition, with the remains of the battalion, and turned my H.Q. party and machine gunners on to dig a second line along the south edge of the wood. (Our machine guns had been lent to 8th R.B. overnight in the trenches and were probably captured). I kept the machine gunners by me in case we recaptured any guns.

The D.C.L.I. battalion of 14th Division had followed my battalion into the wood and were in reserve, they came up and with 2 companies held my 2nd line and reinforced my 1st line. Eventually about midnight they relieved all my men abd the battalion collected in rear of the wood and marched back to Vlamertinghe - Popering road, arriving at a rest camp at 4.30am.

During the week the battalion has lost 8 officers killed, 1 missing and 7 wounded. Other ranks roughly 300.”

Regards,

Graeme

Big centenary coming up soon. Andy's paying his respects there.

:poppy:

I hope the diary for this very important episode re-appears

It's there in the box or was when i photographed it all.

Andy

I've now received the information I was after but, it's strange the month hasn't made it to Ancestry

• 6 years later...