Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Trenches of Gusty and Zenith in 57c

micks

Hi all

Does anybody have access to trench map 57c with the Gusty and Zenith trench systems recorded on it ?

I'm aware that they are both situated in N.28 and 34 but as yet I have only found one which records

the location of Zenith.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Mick

I have one, send me a PM with your e-mail address and will send a copy.

John

Hi all

Does anybody have access to trench map 57c with the Gusty and Zenith trench systems recorded on it ?

I'm aware that they are both situated in N.28 and 34 but as yet I have only found one which records

the location of Zenith.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Here is Zenith.

Howard

post-991-0-50758900-1437901182_thumb.jpg

And again with name added by hand.

Rats Alley list a Gusly Trench at N28 c,d but as most of the trenches in the area have meteorological names, that must be Gusty, although I have not found a map that shows it.

Howard

post-991-0-60118800-1437901797_thumb.jpg

John and Howard

Thanks for your help

The little information that I have indicates that Gusty was south

of Zenith and joined up with Spectrum Trench to the west.

All the best

Mick

John and Howard

Thanks for your help

The little information that I have indicates that Gusty was south

of Zenith and joined up with Spectrum Trench to the west.

All the best

Mick

As Rats Alley seems to list Gusty in N28 c,d, that implies it is West of Zenith, to reach Spectrum it would go into 34 a and b. I looked at a dozen or so maps, nothing!

On the other hand, to compile Rats Alley, Peter Chasseaud must have seen at least one map so it is out there somewhere.

Howard

The NA British Trench Map Atlas DVD search advises Gusty is mispelled as Gusly & Gosty. 57cSW2 N28c,d, 3A(S)

There is a Gusty Support in N28c,d, which runs from Misty Trench over Energy Alley to Rainbow Trench

Eddie

As Rats Alley seems to list Gusty in N28 c,d, that implies it is West of Zenith, to reach Spectrum it would go into 34 a and b. I looked at a dozen or so maps, nothing!

On the other hand, to compile Rats Alley, Peter Chasseaud must have seen at least one map so it is out there somewhere.

Howard

Many of Peter Chasseaud's maps are available here, but the seach facilitity is best described as "interesting". I think that if you can find the right map, you will find Gusty trench.

As some 1:10,000 maps were simply made photographically from 1:20,000 and vice-versa, it is worth looking at both scales.

Howard

Howard

Thanks again for the information

After surfing through many websites relating to actions in this area in late 1916

I have found a interesting hand drawn map based upon the 57c grid system.

It indicates that Gusty was directly south west of Zenith.Gusty was shaped like a

set of breasts larger to the west. Gusty then joined a unnamed half moon shaped

trench system on both sides which in turn joined up with Rainbow Trench. This trench

then joined with Spectrum Trench to the east.

Mick

Howard

Thanks again for the information

After surfing through many websites relating to actions in this area in late 1916

I have found a interesting hand drawn map based upon the 57c grid system.

It indicates that Gusty was directly south west of Zenith.Gusty was shaped like a

set of breasts larger to the west. Gusty then joined a unnamed half moon shaped

trench system on both sides which in turn joined up with Rainbow Trench. This trench

then joined with Spectrum Trench to the east.

Mick

Please post a snippet of the map you found- i will correlate than and I think already now that i have an actual aerial from 10/1916 of discussed trench/area

egbert

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position at this time to down load the map in question.

Zenith, Gusty and the unnamed Trench are situated in 57c N.28.c and d with

Rainbow Trench coming through N.28.a, c and d. This trench then branches off

to become Spectrum Trench in M.34.b

All the best

Mick

Mick I am afraid I cannot use your co-ordinates and English trench names as I am in posession of German aerials of mentioned area . No names or co-ordinates. I have to lay both, the aerials and your reference map with trenches depicted next to each other and must align/identify the trenches "by hand".

I have just looked again through all the 57C SW maps I have, both 1:10,000 and 1:20,000- over 60 maps and found none with Gusty trench.

Here is a Dec 1916 map that shows a complex of trenchs, one of which must I presume be Gusty.

Howard

post-991-0-10938500-1438170127_thumb.jpg

And an Oct 1916 map of the same squares but with a slightly different trench line and name.

Howard

post-991-0-65650600-1438170254_thumb.jpg

Howard

Thank you for maps.

Your map is very similar to the one that I located but with more trench detail.

Zenith is the trench that runs from Eclipse through 28 central and 28.d.8.0

Gusty is directly south west from 28.c.7.8 to 28.d.1.2 with Rainbow running

from 28.c.5.4 to 28.d.4.0 and into 34.b

Mick