Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burley, Hampshire War Memorial - A T Lucas Rt. Hon. Lord Captain RAF

Digger

I am researching Burley War Memorial, and one of the men mentioned on it is, A T Lucas Rt. Hon. Lord Captain RAF. I have found the following on Forces War Records, but cannot find anything about his death anywhere else. "Lieutenant, temporary Captain, Royal Flying Corps, Hampshire Yoemanry. Mentioned in Dispatches, Gazette date 22nd September, 1916, page 9339". Out of the men I have researched so far they have all died during WW1, but I have not been able to confirm his death so far. Can anyone please advise me as to where else I might look for information. Thanks.

post-4192-0-37163400-1437863189_thumb.jp

Oddly, he doesn't seem to be on CWGC at all??? But he is listed in SDIGW.

Although according to probate records on ancestry he left £100,000 in effects. Official address was Wrest Hill, Ampthill, Bedfordshire. Although he also resided in Burley in a house now demolished after it burnt down in the 60s.

Buried in Ecoust St Main, commemorated at Highclere

Picture of him and grave details at. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=HE&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=5&GSsr=5361&GRid=37676165&

Regards

Ian

Thank you for all your help. I have

learnt a lot today , including that real names and title names are different. Which, when you come to think of it, is logical. So once again, thank you, the members of this site always turn up trumps.

He's also named on the Wigglesworth memorial in North Yorkshire (it was in the West Riding at the time of his death). He and his sister owned the Wigglesworth Estate but she sold it off in 1924.

There are 17 other men and one woman listed on the memorial as having served but his is the only death recorded.

Just in case you don't already have 2/Lt R.F. Lowndes, 1/KRRC, here's his obituary from the KRRC Chronicle ...

2ND LIEUT. RICHARD FORBES LOWNDES.
2nd Lieut. Richard Forbes Lowndes was the eldest son of Mr. G.R. Lowndes, Vice-President of the Viceroy's Council, India, and of Mrs. Lowndes, of Crow Hill, Ringwood. He was educated at Winchester, where he belonged to the O.T.C., was Senior Prefect of his House, a footballer, athlete, and a fine shot. On leaving school in December, 1915, he obtained a commission in the Regiment, and went to the front at the end of August, 1916, serving with the 1st Battalion. He was shot by a sniper on November 14th, 1916, north-east of Beaumont Hamel. Aged 19 years.

[source: KRRC Chronicle 1916, p.363]

Joined 1/KRRC 02 Sep 1916. Killed during attack targeting Munich Trench, but which lost direction in darkness and then dawn mist and actually assaulted Leave Avenue and New Trench instead.

HTH

Mark

• 3 years later...

My grandfather, who I never knew, was Lord Lucas’ head groom on his Burley estate, pre - WW2. As Auberon Herbert he was related to Evelyn Waugh’s wife Laura and their eldest son was named after him . Auberon Waugh became a novelist too. I myself was named Nan after his sister.