Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Withers Henry Withers, A.B. 138253 Royal Navy.

midshipmanrayley

Withers Henry Withers, born 5th September 1870 in Trunch, Norfolk and died 8th December 1948 in Great Yarmouth.

Served in the Royal Navy as 138253 and showing on the 1911 census as Able Bodied seaman.

Appears to be a long serving sailor but can any member please tell me if he was awarded a Long Service Good Conduct medal?

It should come up on his service record, I would have thought? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7059371 Even if he died as late as 1940 and his pension records are still with the Disclosure Cell, I would have expected him to have retired before 1928.

In the normal course one would have expected him to be discharged to pension at age 39/40 (21 years from age 18) in about 1909-10. The awarded of the LS &GC medal depends on whether he had sufficient VG conduct and time which, as sJ states, can only be found on his record. He was recalled for WW1 and he claimed the usual trio of medals.

Thanks seaJane and horario2. Had hoped there might be a L.S.G.C. medal roll for easy reference. Will try to obtain his service record via local library.

You can download the record for £3.30 from the link I give but I appreciate that if your library service has the appropriate subscription it may be free there.

Hi seaJane, yes local library has about a dozen different subscription websites available free. Very handy.

Find my Past's Royal Navy Seamans records are from 1899 -1919. I believe that Withers joined the Royal Navy in 1889, his record is not available from Find my Past.

Bob

Thanks Bob.