Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish 'Make-do'

trajan

The Turkish army never seems to have wasted anything when it came to bayonets (and rifles, for that matter - hence the Enfausers!), and this is one of my favourite examples of Turkish 'Make-do' that some might like to see... An otherwise undistinguished early (small rivet) OEWG Mannlicher M.95, no State marking on the left ricasso, but a '45' serial between the rivets, and nicely wrapped in a scabbard shortened from that of a Turkish M.1887 or M.1890...

post-69449-0-43579100-1437653501_thumb.j post-69449-0-28685300-1437653512_thumb.j

Trajan,

nice one mate, you have just managed to combine my passion for M95 bayonets & turk bayonets ;)

Was offered a shortened M1890 in its shortened (but slightly longer than the blade) leather scabbard, nealy bought it as it had clearly been shortened due to a twisted blade (could still see some of the twist to tip of blade, guessing that was why the scabbard was slightly longer). If it is still there & may still purchase as a cuiosity.

Aleck

I thought you'd like it! M.95's seem to be rather thin on the ground over here right now, but there again, having been off on my archaeological travels I have missed the last three 'Antika Pazari'...

The M.1890 and scabbard sounds interesting - let us know what you decide with that one!

Julian