Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave Stone Materials

KONDOA

My recent exploits around the graveyards of Lincolnshire have made me notice the variation in some CWGC stone materials. The one below dates from 1915 and seems to be of a particularly coarse but strong stone, but not I would suspect Portland. Most other stones are Portland but show marked differences in quality and wear resistance. Any ideas about this darker stone Chums??

Roop

CWGC headstones are made from all sorts of different stone - although Portland Limestone is the most common.

The above may be Stancliffe sandstone. You can also find Hopton Wood, granite and slate as well as various red and green limestones. The newer headstones to replace Portland tend nowadays to be Boticcino Limestone (which has a marble look to it).

I know you did not mean it this way but the headstone does not date from 1915 (IWGC was not founded until 1917) but probably from the 1920s or 1930s.

Thanks Terry and as you say I didnt mean it was "supplied" in 1915. I shall look out for the variations as they themselves are interesting.

Roop