Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daveleic

I would be very grateful if anyone with access to the appropriate technology could give me an approximate grid reference in terms of a 20,000 scale trench map, of the position of the Bellicourt Monument atop the Bellicourt Tunnel. (I am thinking it is possibly somewhere in A28c on map 62B NW, but am not sure whether it could be in the square north of that).

Hi, I make it one square north, at 62b.NW.28.a.3.4.

This is based on the American Battle Monuments Commission identifying it as 3 13.919E 49 58.511N. On Google Earth, if I go directly west of Cabaret Wood Farm to the tunnel, I then need to travel 440 yards along the tunnel to the monument. On 62b (1:20,000), traversing west, then 450 yards along the tunnel puts me in square 'a'. Malakoff Wood is a good cross-check on both maps.

Happy to help - my grandfather walked all of this area and photographed Bony, some fortifications and the Bellicourt Tunnel. We still have a handwritten signal report showing MG and mortars firing in square 24 a, 2 kilometres north of the monument. One of the brigade's battalions marched out with just 80 men.

Bill

Thanks both Bill and Chris, that is brilliant. That overlay technology is amazing! I had just been "guesstimating" where it was from "driving" past it on Google street view. My relative's tank was destroyed at A29c, so he probably died there, unless he got out and crawled some distance before getting hit. The 8th Bn 'C' Company tanks in support of 58 Bn A.I.F. set off from where the infantry had dug in at the tunnel in A28c. It is surprising how little Cabaret Wood Farm and the lane seem to have changed.

Dave

• 2 years later...